1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tired of Bob Raissman's conflict of interest

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by suburbanite, Jul 19, 2009.

1. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Sorry I haven't been around in awhile. Had trouble accessing this site because of my own browser issues, but they seem to have been taken care of.
    Anyway, saw this in today's column by Bob Raissman in the NY Daily News and it really bothered me.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/columnists/raissman/index.html

He's doing a 'rip Jimmy Dolan' column disguised as a TV column, and he inserts this very thinly-veiled reference to Newsday, now of course owned by Cablevision, which Dolan's family also owns:

What about ticket sales? It was reported, maybe even in the newspaper Dolan runs (what a darn coincidence), season subscriptions are up from last year. Up from what? Considering the tickets weren't selling all that well in '08-'09, this ain't a big deal.

Sorry, but a guy getting $200 an appearance from one of the networks [SNY] he's supposed to be critiquing forfeits any right, in my book, to accuse anyone else of a conflict of interest. And as people have commented under his stories, it's funny how he no longer calls Mets owner Fred Wilpon 'Skill Sets' now that he appears on his network.

And, no, I don't work for Newsday, Cablevision or the NYDN.

2. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I used to work for the NYDN, and it was the paper who paid for our appearances on SNY, not the network. I'm told that's still the policy.
    And if it is, I don't understand why the Daily News allows readers to write libelous things about Raissman under his own column. The paper really needs to clear this up for readers who wrongly think NYDN employees are being paid by SNY.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Daily News website comments are a disgrace. They obviously don't care.

4. maberger

maberger Member

did or did not raismann cross the picket line during the NYDN strike?

5. mcgovern72

mcgovern72 Member

It's not only immaterial who pays this unethical columnist, it's irrelevant whether he actually ever appears on the show. SNY hosts Daily News Live...Daily News Live...that alone is reason for the paper's media columnist to be disqualified from writing about that network or competing networks.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

indeed, from start to finish, for those keeping score.

full disclosure: i, too, crossed for the first five days, then went out after making what i'd contend was the most informed decision in an incredibly intense, confused time. forgoing five months of paychecks for little-to-no gain was right for me, though -- big-time bonding for the then-infant little man shockey and i.

geez, that was 1990-91! holy geez....

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I don't mind him too much. Read his stuff.

Hate the nicknames, though.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The Daily News paying the writers, instead of SNY, is good. But does SNY control the invitations to appear? If so, even if it isn't paying the appearance fees, SNY has a say in how many appearances the writer would make, and thus earn, wouldn't it? I'm asking a question; I don't know if that's the case.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Took the words right out of my fingers. Christ am I tired of that tired, tired act.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But still a great 'stache

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can't argue with that, either.

12. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

To the best of my knowledge, SNY and the NYDN consult on who appears from the paper and who doesn't, so SNY does have a say. And if somebody criticized them often, I doubt he/she would be appearing very much.

Draft saved Draft deleted