1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips on South Bend road trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Aug 31, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Funny, but neither my friend nor I are in the journalism business anymore.

2. Chill and hang out on campus before the game. It is worth it.

Hit up Madison Oyster Bar, Corby's or any of the bars in mid downtown or the north side of downtown. Been a few years since I lived in SB, but there's plenty of solid places to drink/eat in downtown and along the 23 and Toll Road corridor between campus and Granger.

Say hi to Jeff Jackson for me if you see him. Check out the CFB HOF before it departs for the ATL. It was a great venue for SB while it was there.

If you are cool about it, you shouldn't have a problem finding tickets. Just don't do it traditional scalper style. Infiltrate.

Then laugh as those ND shitheads get their asses kicked.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I actually went to the game yesterday. First time I've been there in a few years. There is a college town-style development now across from the campus. Someone told me it had just opened in the last couple years, but it was really nice. Four or five story buildings with an Irish pub, some burger joints, and a huge bookstore. Very reminiscent of what you'd find in Madison, Ann Arbor, etc., etc.

4. So, how did you get tickets?

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Seriously? Christ, it just moved to SB not long ago. It used to be in my 'burg, Cincinnati, up until a few years ago. At this rate, they should just put it on wheels.

EDIT: Okay, so I looked it up. It's been more than a "few years." It moved from Cincy to SB in '95. Still... for a HoF, that's awfully mobile.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I remember my first overnight road trip to SB to cover a game...

Was told by the UM people we were staying at the Westin in Elkhart. Sounded odd, but who knew.
    Got there and it was the "Roscoe Weston Motor Lodge" -- an old Holiday Inn that had changed owners 17 times, with outdoor access and leaky AC units.
    Got there on Friday and went into South Bend for a little bit. Came back and had several cocktails at the Weston lounge with the other beat writers. It was and still is my favorite memory of Shelby Strother.
    Saturday, we got on to Signal Pointe Country Club; went into the locker room and saw the names on the lockers "Holtz", "Phelps", "Valderserri"
    Golfed with Charlie Vincent and Jack Saylor... took money from Saylor on the front having the round of my life -- felt bad about it until Charlie said "Hell with him. You know how much money that old fart has won on a golf course?"
    Got to the game, sent halftime notes fine. Post game story was a different matter. Computer with the modem at the office locked up and, since I was the office tech guy, couldn't walk my boss through rebooting the computer.
    Drove back to Elkhart with Charlie, just fuming that my boss couldn't reset the computer. Right after the game, it started pouring and people are walking back to their cars just soaking wet.
    Charlie said to me "You think you had problems? Look at those people."
    I didn't feel so bad.... was a very good weekend.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Friend who is a Purdue grad invited me. Not sure how he got his tickets.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

He was talking to mustang, Dick. You know, the guy who started this thread asking how to get tickets.

:D

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I haven't gotten the tickets, and may not now. I'm not paying $200 for one football game. By comparison, the most expensive tickets I ever bought were $200 and that was for the Final Four.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How many are planning to go & how many of that group already have tickets?

I still maintain that you'll be able to get tickets at the game without getting ripped off.

There just aren't that many folks who show up without tickets and there's always folks with extras.

If your buddies are have tickets & are going, you should tag along. You'll get in.

11. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

If you're looking to spend a little more for dinner, you can't go wrong at Tippecanoe Place. It's located in the former Studebaker Family Mansion and the food is outstanding. The Courtyard Goshen is a little ride, but often fairly cheap even on game weekends. Plus you get to see a lot of Amish people and their buggies hanging out in the Menard's parking lot across the street.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Also, Notre Dame has a REAL strict policy against selling tickets for more than face value.

As in...the school rewards ticket holders who report others selling for more than face. If you are a season ticket holder and accused of selling your seats above face, you are subject to a 5-year suspension for tickets. That's a lot of motivation.

FAR better off being a buyer for ND home games than being a seller.

All that aside, I went to last year's opener. Probably the best college football experience of my life. Was surprised in that I was with my then 7-year-old son and there was a drunk right in front of us in the "prime seats" (50 yard line, just below press box). Had to ask him to quit dropping f-bombs... while this "man" (25 year old) was with his dad.

Draft saved Draft deleted