1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips on South Bend road trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Aug 31, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm trying to get some tickets to the Michigan/Notre Dame game on Sat. Sept.11, and all of the prices online seem to be absurd. $184 per ticket for seats nowhere near the action or even near the 50.

How easy is it to come by tickets on gameday? I've been to plenty of Big Ten games where you can grab a ticket on the street corner for face value, or a little more, but how is it around Notre Dame Stadium? And what are the rules about scalping in Indiana?

Also, what are some places my friends and I should check out? I've been to South Bend once before to hit the College Football Hall of Fame, but it wasn't on game day and I wasn't of drinking age. Looking for some college bars, maybe a restaurant or two and a suggestion on places to stay.

Thanks for your help!

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I hear they have good food in the press box.

Flaccid, flabby, soggy, sagging, splitting tubes of rotting animal flesh, floating languidly in a fetid bath of malodorous swill.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Wear a cupcake costume and they will usher you down to the visitor's sideline. :)

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Well this has been great advice. Thanks guys!

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Obviously not many of us have vacationed in SB. :)

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Every time I've been for a big game I've found someone willing to sell tickets for face value or even less.

Don't wear Michigan clothes & don't look like a drunk asshole. The folks that have tickets are rich. The tickets are paid for. They don't really need your money. If you look like a nice, respectable person that they're wiling to sit next to for four hours, they'll give you the tickets for a good price.

Even if you hate ND -- not sure if you do -- I'd recommend getting their early & walking around campus. Check out the Golden Dome, the Chapel, the Grotto. It's really beautiful.

The band plays outside on the steps of one of the buildings before the game. When I went with my buddy from BC for the game -- and he was dressed like Doug Flutie circa 1987 -- he couldn't believe how nice everyone was. The band played the BC fight song. People wished him luck & welcomed him to the campus.

He hated -- hated -- ND and came away very impressed.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Only been there for Notre Dame games and College Football HOF. Used to live 30 minutes from there, so never had a need to stay the night and never really ate a lot down there either.

Would go down for the shopping mall too (since there wasn't a great one where I was at). Usually did what Christmas shopping I needed, stopped at 7-11 (since they didn't have one where I was at) and stopped on the way home to eat.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Isn't the Linebacker the big student/alumni bar?

9. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Mustang, I'm a local, I can help you out a bit.

Ticket scalping is legal in Indiana.....not on the ND campus. The NDPD really takes that seriously. So you'll have to buy them off the ND campus. Depending on your route into town, I can help you out with locations...just PM me.

Having said that, enthusiasm is pretty high with BK in town. Expect to be gouged....particularly for the Michigan game. Online (from a reliable source) may be your best bet. Unless of course, they lose to Purdue. In which case, you'll probably see "Fire BK" billboards & be able to scoop up cheap tickets :)

As for local spots, depends on which night you're talking about, just how "college" you want it, and whether or not you want food (as opposed to just alcohol). Again, shoot me a PM.

Actually, sorry you didn't post this two days earlier. I had 2 I would have sold you for face value.....

10. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Yep....in every way. Right down to the pole in the middle of the dance floor.....and your shoes sticking to the tile. But they DID add three outdoor tables.....

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Ouch! That hurts.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If you don't have a place to stay yet, don't expect to find one in South Bend. Heck, you might even have trouble in Elkhart. Don't be shocked if the closest place you find (as once happened to friends of mine who came for Ohio State) is Angola, Ind., home of the world-famous Butt Hut.

Draft saved Draft deleted