1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips on living with your parents

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jpm_fanboy, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Or on the living room TV.
    During dinner.
    Wait until they're asleep.

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I have to admit that if one of the kids wanted to move home hubby and I would turn the house over to them, hop in the camper and get the hell out of here.

And I don't mean that as bad as it sounds. It's just that out of sight, out mind concept. When they are here, I worry about their every move. And I'm sure that's not something they enjoy all that much, either.

The best advice I have is to just respect them as far as not coming home at night. I could have cared less what time my grown kids came home, or even if they chose to come home. But if I get up in the morning to have my coffee and don't see their car in the driveway, there had better be a text phone telling me that was their plan.

Though, I do think the flowers in the bong is a nice touch. ;D

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

honest question: would you tell your kids that, even as a joke?

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Um, no, never. Maybe I should have used the blue font instead of a smiley?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

shit, you should know i wasn't judging you. i was just wondering the relationship ... you know, i have the heartbreakers, they're getting older, blah, blah, blah.

it's all good. really.

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Well, I've had two of the three come home. And while I never at all felt that it was an intrusion, it did fill me with the worries that a parent gets to let go of a little bit once they move out. That was the point of my post.

I just thought the flowers in the bong was so funny it was one of those spit-my-drink-on-the-screen comments.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'd like to think i have an awesome "talkaboutanything" relationship with the heartbreakers, but just today, the oldest 'breaker, comments on a tampex commercial and makes some joke about periods.

i say: "you know what honey? you never have to talk to me about those things, you know, like, ever. riiiight?"

i'm such a looser.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Well, I have had the flowers in the bong discussions with my kid. She will talk to me about anything. And I seriously mean anything. And while most times I want to crawl under the table, I have to respect the fact that she is obviously not getting her answers from her peers and is mature enough to ask someone older for information.

So, the lesson here for JPM is NO FLOWERS IN THE BONG.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what if it's your bong?

10. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I'm mature enough to hide my bong in a place the kid won't find it. ;D

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, so solid.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I moved back in with my old man after my mom died suddenly seven years ago. Gave him money for rent and we split the chores. We were basically on opposite schedules so we rarely saw each other during the week. It lasted for about six months, until he was back on his feet. Keep a timeline, save money and have a ready explanation for why there is a strange girl in your bed every week.

Draft saved Draft deleted