1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips on living with your parents

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jpm_fanboy, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Which means you have to have your sex elsewhere. Which is OK, so long as you call and let them know you won't be home. Yeah, I know. You are a grown up. Well, you are living with them and they will WORRY so make the call.
    Hopefully your dad won't add "like you own it" to the end of the conversation but that's a chance you take.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I lived with my mother for a while in my mid-20's. It actually put our relationship on a whole new footing, learning to deal with each other as adults rather than parent-child. You've gotten a lot of good advice here ... pay room & board, share in the house/yard work and respect the house rules. Call if you won't be home for dinner or if you're staying out all night. If your Mom does the bulk of the care taking in the house, treat her to lunch or dinner now and then and make sure you tell her how much you appreciate it.

Oh ... and don't bring people home for sex. :D

3. you guys are no fun!

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

1) Set up hidden web cam in your bedroom.
    1a) Give us link to said cam
    2) Find hot girl
    3) Bring her to your room.
    4) Turn on cam
    5) Tell her you'll be right back, but that she should, uh, you know, get ready and stuff ...
    6) Accidentally expose a, um, "toy" for her
    7) Leave and don't come back til morning

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

8. Go to your friend's house and watch it.
    9. Pitch it to a movie producer.
    10. Wait for the payday.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Do they even want you in their house anymore?

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I believe so, TSP.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Thanks, Preppy. I was looking out for the, um, you know, "money" shot ... not exactly his pay day.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Oh.

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I think you guys have been watching American Pie too much.

My parents actually told me if I had not procured a job at graduation, I would have to move back in with them. A week before graduation, I found myself a job. Which was good, because how the house is still standing after my teen years was a wonder. The only reason why we're geting along on a semi-regular basis now is because I'm 1,100 miles from them.

If you can't cook, offer to buy once a week or so if you go out to dinner or bring pizza home one night.

Work out some sort of money agreement with your parents. Depending on how much you're making, see if they will forego rent if you promise to save the money to get your own place eventually. And then, actually save it. It's amazing when we do the things we promise our parents we'll do.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Lot of good advice on this thread, if you do go through with this, so I'll be the one to offer one more word:

Don't.

A friend of mine warned me not to move back in with my parents after I had moved out, but I didn't have a choice financially. The day after I moved back in, I started saving and planning to move back out. And I did, five months later. My parents treated me just fine, but it felt very restricting -- like you're back in high school or something. I hated it. Unless there's an immediate financial or medical reason to do it, it's just not worth the trouble.

You never know what the dynamics of the relationship are going to be until you do it, and while your parents may sound warm to the idea of you moving back in, even if you pay rent and do the chores and buy groceries, etc., you're still going to disrupt their lives, too, intentionally or not. Even under the best of circumstances, it's not easy.

So, if you're going to go through with it, also set a plan for when you're going to move out. Save the money you want to save, get whatever you need to get in order, and then do your own thing. Both you and your parents will be better off that way.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm currently living with my parents in a household of five and a dog.

My stepdad and I are outnumbered, 3-2, but we get by.

And they don't make, or won't let me pay any rent. My mom just hopes I've saved up enough money to move back out of the house by the time I'm 25...

And one piece of advice I can give you that others have already said: Help out around the house. Do the laundry, the dishes, clean the house when they're at work and you're at home. And help with yardwork. I'm hardly ever home except for the afternoons before I go to work and Sundays between all my time at church, but I still manage to help out when they need it.

Draft saved Draft deleted