1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips on living with your parents

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jpm_fanboy, Sep 3, 2008.

1. jpm_fanboy

jpm_fanboy Guest

Ok, wise folks of SportsJournalists.com, I come seeking your advice...

I recently got a telecommuting job and have complete flexibility with where I live. I'm "over" the city I currently live in, which is about an hour from my hometown/my parents. I'm an only child in my mid-20s and pretty close to my folks, although they do get on my nerves in larger doses.

But for money purposes (i.e. I'd like to save some) -- and because I'm not sure I see any other options that make sense at the moment -- I'm thinking of sucking up my pride (I've always equated living with your parents after college to failure, no offense intended) and moving in with them for the time being (probably six or seven months). There are other factors involved (including my grandmother probably not making it to Christmas and the busy time at my new job), which factored into the decision.

I'm not meaning to start another "new hometown" thread, as I suppose I've kind of resigned myself to this potential living arrangement and I do know where I'd like to live with my next move, I'm just looking for tips and tricks to keep me from hating them and keep them from kicking me out. (More the former than the later.)

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Don't bring people home for sex.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Pay them something. Don't freeload.
    Clean up after yourself.
    Respect THEIR house. It is THEIRS. They are just letting you live there.
    Nice of them, by the way.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Offer to cook dinner every once in a while, if you know how to do so. I'd also work out a rental agreement. Even if it's just a little bit of money, maybe $100 a month or buying the groceries. Something to let them know, more than words, that you appreciate their help.

5. if you do bring a girl over for sex, make sure she's quiet as a church mouse, or that she doesn't break the bed.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And stay off your parents' bed.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

You could start a BLOG!

8. or if you do use it, clean up after yourself.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Unless you plan to share.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It can work if it's a reasonably closed-end arrangement.

I could never have lived with my parents in my early-mid 20s; we'd have had screaming matches all night, every night.

When I was in my mid-30s, two rather catastrophic events took place within three weeks of each other: my mother died, somewhat unexpectedly (she was in poor health but nobody thought it was imminently life-threatening), and I was fired (for 'losing concentration on my work").

A month or so later, I moved back home, to help my father pick up the pieces and (hopefully) get back on my feet too. It worked out fine; I helped out with stuff around the house, cooked dinner, chipped in on the groceries, kept my stereo reasonably low, and didn't bring bed buddies home every night. I stayed about 6 months, got another job, and moved back out.

There were a couple sharp exchanges, but only a couple. Never once got into raised voices on either side. We were both older and better able to handle it. As far as what anybody else thought about it, who gives a shit?

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Keep a couple of cut flowers in your bong when you're not using it.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm going to agree with Moddy. Pay rent. Contribute to cleaning up around the house/yardwork, etc.

You are living in THEIR house, so you must follow THEIR rules. If you live on your own in your own place, you can make your own rules. But if you live under their roof, you respect their wishes.

And I also second sportschick's advice about not bringing people home for sex.

Draft saved Draft deleted