1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips on covering NASCAR

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TallSportsGuy, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Well played.

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Another thing ... not sure if they do this at every track, but the races I've covered at Indy, there is usually a sponsored set of driver interviews on practice day/the first day at the track, during a downtime in track activity. If you need to get driver access for weekend preview stories, that might be your best bet. There are usually 6-8 guys going at once, and the pack follows the biggest names, but there are some good stories to be had throughout the garage. They'll end up bringing half the field.

However, one of the best stories I ever wrote came from asking Dale Jarrett, Bill Elliott & Ricky Rudd about their early days at one of these planned media cfs. Jarrett looked at me, said "how much time you got?," and all three gave me gobs of material.

I've covered one NASCAR race a year for years, and access to drivers has progressively gotten worse. Starting several years ago, if you didn't have a "hot" pass, access to the garage was pretty much shut off when drivers might be there, so the early Friday media availabilities have been gold for getting weekend stuff. On Sunday, they'll probably give you a transcript of the press conference. Hit the haulers as soon as the race is over and start intercepting the drivers as they head out.

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Some great advice here. I'll add a couple of things:
    1. Try to find a chart listing where various team members are. Probably someone in NASCAR's PR department could help. That way, you can see if there's anyone from your area. If there is, get in contact with that team to see if you can do a story on that crew member or maybe even shadow that person during the weekend if you can set it up with the team.
    2. Find an experienced reporter who can show you the ropes, so to speak. I'm thinking someone along the lines of a Mike Mulhern or something like that. A track PR person can probably help you out as well, or introduce you to someone you can tag along with.

Draft saved Draft deleted