1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips on covering lacrosse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goldy220, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I heard somebody call women's/girls lacrosse freeze tag the other day.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Isn't there a way in women's lax to stall inside your own keeper's circle if you are ahead?

Why am I thinking that?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Have heard more lacrosse players shout the f-word on the sidelines over the past few days than I heard in covering all other sports combined for the past few years.

4. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

I'm on a college lacrosse beat this year for the first time, and I really enjoy it. I hate labeling personalities to different sports, but I guess I will anyway. I'm able to do all kinds of features at pretty much whatever angle I want, because the players and coaches just enjoy the coverage and are very easy going.

College hockey is big in my area, and that's a different story. I can try for various stories throughout the year (outside of previews and gamers), but I'm getting the same quotes every week.

Lacrosse teams generally don't feel like the coverage is owed to them like other sports. That's seems to be the difference.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Covered my first girls game today. It was horrible. Rainy and a lot of stalling in the second half. Plus the stats girls kept riding the refs throughout the game.

The road team coach bitched at me for being too close (40 feet from their huddle) during a timeout. Sorry, but as you could have seen, I was trying to keep dry in my spot on the sidelines and not worried about what you're problem is.

6. nate41

nate41 Member

First boy's game today. It was pretty entertaining, and I did a good amount of homework so I sort of knew what was going on. Coaches/players were friendly too, which helped.

I read some stuff on here and also took a peak into the Field Guide to Covering Sports, which has some pretty good stuff in it. I've gotten a condescending vibe from it at points, but still a worthwhile read.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It would have been nice to have a complete roster with full names and numbers at the game I covered. But if the team lost by double-digits, the accuracy of the stats is just as much of a joke as the team was that day.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, in lacrosse is it a goalkeeper, a goaltender or just a goalie?

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Usually, it's fucked.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, that I knew.

Draft saved Draft deleted