1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips on covering lacrosse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goldy220, Mar 29, 2011.

1. There was a boys lacrosse player in my coverage area all the local reporters used to call "The Professional" because he was so well-spoken, rarely used cliches and gave us straight ahead answers, it was unreal.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Lacrosse players tend to be pretty smart kids, for the most part.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

there is no way in hell the woman's game takes more skill and finesse than the men's game. The men are playing with extreme contact, there is no hitting in the woman's game. The skill that it takes to play the game with contact is immense.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I was in a similar situation because I started covering my university's women's lacrosse team. I went in basically knowing nothing about women's lax and essentially just the basics of the men's game. After two seasons of covering that team, I felt pretty comfortable with the women's end of the sport.

Oh, and I also officiated one season of boys lax.

What worked for me was reading up on the sport before I went in, then try to read as much as I can and talk to as many people as I can. Use the time before the opening faceoff to pick the brains of people there if they're not distracted and running around.

If you're the only reporter there, try to think of questions to ask, both for your own understanding and for the reader's. Of course, that holds true for the sports you're familiar with.

The analogies to basketball or hockey on grass are fairly spot on. Watch for penalty flags, though. Some of the signals are similar to those for football.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Lacrosse people realize that not everyone grew up around the game and they want the sport to grow. They almost all, from a high school freshman on the JV team to hall of fame college coaches and the best players in the world, will take time to explain things to you if you don't understand.

6. ringer

ringer Active Member

I wouldn't underestimate the skill of women's LAX players, and there's one major reason:

The pocket of a woman's stick is about as third as deep as a man's. It takes enormous skill just trying to keep the ball in that shallow basket while people are smacking your stick and/or you're in a full sprint. I've seen varsity guys try it and fail miserably.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Please, it's not Lacrosse without contact.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

IIRC, there is no contact in women's lax. You try to make the player spin or stop and lose control of her cradle of the ball. And there is no pocket in a women's stick.

9. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I always thought it was pretty much hockey on grass with more goals. Just my impression though...never covered it.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And to further confuse things, in men's lacrosse, there are penalty flags.

First time I ever saw a game, I thought that was just plain weird.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

If you want to be taken seriously as a lacrosse writer, don't let news-side beat you to the hard-hitting investigative stuff, especially during bowl week.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Women's lacrosse also has the dumbest rule in sports. If a player scores a goal while being fouled, the goal does not count and she gets a free shot in front of the net.
    Every other sport has some way if dealing with this type of situation so the team that commits the foul is not rewarded for doing so (and 1 in basketball, advantage in soccer, etc.).
    A referee explained the rationale to me once, but it still didn't make any sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted