1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips on Covering High School Basketball

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Carvelli3, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

How do your high school reporters keep NBA box scores? It's impossible to keep rebounds, assists, blocks, steals and all that. You'd need a huge stat crew.

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

For me, the most important thing is keeping the running play-by-play. I don't write it that way, but having one allows me to quickly spot runs, both team and individual, and any trends that may turn the game one way or another. I'm not in a hoops hotbed, so keeping a lot of detailed stats isn't a priority. I track each possession, and chart shots, made and missed, free throws and turnovers. If I notice that a player is having a big rebounding or assists game, I'll hit up the team's stat person to get those totals, but I've got too much going on in a game to keep them myself.

Most times, I try to keep my own scorebook, so I don't have to wait on the scorekeeper's book, although I try to sit as close as I can to the scorer's table so I can reference any situation I may have a problem with. Almost all of our games are girls/boys doubleheaders, so I'll go in knowing I'm going to focus on one game or the other and devise my strategy that way.

Finally, always try to keep your eyes on the ball, because you never know when it might be headed your way. I was at a game last night, and I heard the PA guy sitting next to me say, "look out," and I just had time to glance up as the ball bounced off my forehead.

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I don't keep a full box.

I keep track of points, rebounds, assists, 3-point FG and FGA, FT FG and FGA and turnovers.

4. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I've been lucky, I guess. I always have a seat at the scorer's/press table.

Usually at the table, it's each team's manager keeping scorebook, the official scorebook, and clock operator.

I have had to sit in the seats before at my previous job, though.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I started out both shooting and covering games, so with a clipboard, you can slide your stat sheets under your arm while you look through the lens on the baseline.

And when you're trying to do both, the best I could manage was keeping scoring and (maybe) rebounds.

Even when I'm not shooting the game, it's tough to track assists, steals, etc. when it's a fast-paced game. You can get caught with your head down, scribbling notes, while something important to the game happens.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I loved it, especially with a notebook and pen in one hand and camera in the other (one of the perks of being ambidextrous).

That being said, it'll take about 50 games to really become comfortable covering hoops, so my only advice is to pay attention to everything you see, everything you hear. Get used to being able to translate what you see and hear into the notes you take.

You need to devise a system that best suits your needs, and that only comes with covering lots of games.

Good luck. And have fun.

7. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Yeah, covering hoops is definitely a learned trait. I love it. It's a challenge every game.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The primary high school in my coverage area added a second scorer's table this year. It was to uncrowd the radio area upstairs mostly, but it's been beneficial to me as well.

In fact, I can think of only one place in the entire league where there isn't a place I can sit. In that case, I sit behind the team bench next to the woman who keeps the scorebook for the coach.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It varies by school around here. I've seen smaller schools have two rows of tables for press and scoreboard operators.

I've also seen some bigger schools that have one very small table, where you can only fit three people in.

10. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

I'm curious to know if you guys use your own stats or use the ones from the official book? Sometimes my point totals are off a point or two just because I missed a free throw or something. I always double-check with the book after the game and go with what it there, because well it is the official book.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Team A was fucked when Team B's bus started and successfully arrived at Podunk High on Wednesday night.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Damn, I wish I had an old sheet of mine so I could scan it and post it.

My method could give you team and individual made and missed shots, rebounds (D&O), assists, steals, blocks and everything per quarter basis, scoring runs and key plays.

You must, must have a four-colored click pen, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted