1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips for St. Patrick's Day in Savannah

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Del_B_Vista, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Anybody got any tips for room, food, transportation for St. Patrick's Day in that great Southern city? My wife and I want to go there next year and I realize I may already be behind the curve on the planning because it's such a huge event, but we'd like to go.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Paula Deans (Lady and Sons I think)

Get a local to make the reservation on the lunch serving for you. The chicken is to die for.

If you are an outsider, you have to make the reservation weeks in advance I think.

http://ladyandsons.com/index.php

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I haven't been there for St. Patrick's Day for 20 years, so my only piece of advice is this: bring a backup liver.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

One other try on this: I've found a hotel which seems scary cheap and would appreciate an on-the-ground reputation check from a local. If you're from there and would give a shout either here on PM, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Don Hammack
    Biloxi, Miss.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

No matter how long the lines for the men's room is, do not go in the women's room or outside. You will be arrested.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They're all heavily armed and drunk. It's like Gone with the Wind on mescaline.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If somebody told me they saw somebody beheaded down there, I'd believe it.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Do yourself a huge favor and drop by Pinkie Master's bar for a PBR...you'll never have another beer that tastes so good, thanks to the location.

The Six Pence is also a few stumbling blocks away.

9. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

OK... My old stomping grounds.

Don't bother with River Street, unless you're *dying* to go down there. It's overpriced (you have to pay to get there) and overcrowded.

My favorite bars: Molly McPhersons, Six Pence, Pinkie's, The Rail, Churchill's. McDonough's is good, too, though it's gone downhill recently (IMO).

Food: Fuck Lady and Sons. Go here if you want the same type of stuff: http://www.mrswilkes.com/

Other favorite places:

Vinnie Van Go-Go's (mighta spelled it wrong) in City Market for pizza, though Mellow Mushroom is also good during happy hour with its beer prices.

I generally avoid River Street (like I said above), but there are some good restaurants. The Shrimp Factory is good, but pricey (also, you can get the famous Chatham artillery punch). Huey's is delicious for some southern food. Spanky's is tasty, though the bartender is a creep. I've heard the Chart House is good, but I never went there.

Elsewhere:
    Molly McPherson's has delicious food. Highly recommend going there for a meal and brew before the craziness happens. Mrs. Wilke's, as well. Crab Shack out on Tybee is good, but you might not have transportation. Sting Ray's is also great out on Tybee. Belford's is also good.

Lots of places for drunk food, but there's a Five Guys conveniently located next to a few bars. Seems like destiny to me.

PM me with hotel information. I'll see if I can figure out where that is.

10. NDub

NDub Guest

I'm moving to Macon in a few weeks.

This is the second time I've heard about St. Patty's Day in Savannah. Kinda sounds like Nawlins' Mardi Gras.

So without googling it, what's the big deal with this event?

11. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Savannah's downtown is a series of 'squares' with restaurants, bars and museums (and houses) surrounding those squares. In the middle of each square is a garden and whatnot.

On SPD, every one of those squares turns into a party. All day. And since it's legal to drink in public down there, everyone is shitfaced all day long. Big parade and all that jazz... Really, though, it's the drinking and the town's obsession with the holiday that makes it a big deal.

12. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

I second the recommendation to avoid The Lady and Sons. Some of the food is good, but on the whole (and if you watch Paula Deen's cooking shows, this should come as no surprise to you) it's salty and heavy on the butter. If you need a Paula fix, stop by the gift shop next door and buy a cookbook or one of her mixes. Your stomach will thank you later.

Draft saved Draft deleted