1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips for my first fantasy baseball draft

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Eh, part sarcasm, part serious. I actually drafted the three top closers a few years ago in the first three rounds and then grabbed the best hitter I could. By the time the draft ended, I had leverage over the rest of the league and I got some great deals out of it. I got a first-round player for the first closer I picked, so it worked in my end. I also won the league, so, that strategy can't be too bad. I'll never do it again though.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Two words: Middle relief

3. Rumpleforeskin

True, but you need to get a solid middle reliever and you can do that during the season. The good middle relievers normally don't show their heads until May or June, so I usually wait until then to grab a few. They help lower the ERA and WHIP, but dear God, when they get rocked, the ERA goes whoooooooo!

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Still not something I'd try and definitely not something a newcomer to the game should try. It leaves you relying on trades to have a chance and that might be tougher for a newbie to do.

Also, there is no closer in baseball who is worth taking in the first two rounds of a draft. Not one.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

First things first.

Be sure you understand the rules of the league you're in.

Maybe it's a straight 5x5 league, maybe not. Up-and-down draft? Auction-style?

I have gotten in Web site-run leagues where there are innings limits for pitchers and game limits for players and you've got to figure that into your thinking from the start.

Most emphasis in these leagues, rightly or wrongly, is put on hitters. Partly, that's because pitchers are so damned inconsistent from year to year.

Don't get panicked into taking a player at any given position when there's a run. And there will be a run on shortstops or closers or whatever. Probably more than one.

And don't start cutting guys after the first week. There are guys who always start slow and guys who kick ass in April then come down to earth. Keep the former, deal the latter to suckers.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Notice when the closers start going in the draft. Unless someone has a strategy like myself that one time to pick closers in the first few rounds, they will go quickly once someone picks one up. Once someone picks one and you are close to the pick, you might think about grabbing one.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

My last piece of advice:

Remember that most of the advice you're getting comes from people who suck in their own fantasy leagues.

Godspeed.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

So, get this, offensively, my team is so-so.

Pitching, I've got Beckett, Santana, Dice-K, Felix Hernandez, Pettite and Papelbon.

I'd say it's not too shabby.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't forget to draft Roger Clemens.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I used to be good, but I don't have nearly as much time to pay attention as I used to.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That SportsJournalists.com Money League title must be going to Zeke's head. lol

Draft saved Draft deleted