1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips for my first fantasy baseball draft

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Mar 13, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Draft stats, not names.

Have a strategy, and realize that it has to in some way deviate from the strategy that every jerkoff reads on Yahoo.

Roll the dice on people with high upsides.

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Thanks guys. that's good stuff.

I had been decidedly anti-roto for decades, and I'm still not down with getting all obsessed about it, but i'd like to give myself a reasonable team.

I'm still a little fuzzy on how to rate pitchers vs. position players. Where in teh draft should I be looking at getting good starting pitchers?

Also, it just seems to me that maybe the difference between a good team and a bad team is in the guys you draft down low, because everyone is looking at the same rankings for the premium guys, right? What are some tips for getting the nuggets in the 15th-25th round?

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Here's another thing: Say that the best available player on my first pick is Albert Pujols, and the best on my 2nd pick is Ryan Howard. Should I take 'em both and put one on the bench and plan on making a trade soon after?

4. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Don't draft Pujols at all.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

It's a long season. The draft is a lot less important than the moves you make over the next few months.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

A bad draft can definitely hurt you, though.
    Really the most important thing is jumping on the young guys that come up or the 27-year-olds who finally fulfill all that promise, before anyone else grabs them.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I hope I'm in a league with Angola! and buckweaver so I can take Russell Martin as the fifth catcher selected! ;D

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I too am doing my first fantasy baseball league.

I've been doing fantasy football for a good 10 years now and I'm the commissioner of both my leagues.

Unfortunately, my football knowledge gets me nowhere here.... so any more sound advice.

Thanks to whoever posted the thing about catchers.... it seems like Catchers are the baseball version of tight ends. If you don't get one of the top 6... just start getting fifth string running backs.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

With catchers, I might even push it further and say don't draft one until the late rounds.
    The only way I'm taking a catcher early on is if it is the 6th round and one of the four Buck and I mentioned is available, otherwise, I'm loading up on pitching.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I want in a league where Martin doesn't make the conversation with those four, too.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Draft all the top closers you can in the first four rounds. You'll have a bargaining chip with the rest of the league.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Was that supposed to be blue font?

Draft saved Draft deleted