1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips for my first fantasy baseball draft

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Mar 13, 2008.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I am a longtime baseball fan (a MLB beat writer, in fact), but I have never played fantasy baseball before. I decided to give it a whirl this year. I'm in a head to head 12-team mixed league. Standard categories 6 x 6 (includes OBP and Ls). Our draft is Sunday.

I'm looking for some general advice on draft strategy.

Fire away!
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nobody gives a fuck about your fucking fantasy team!

(Sorry, spnited hadn't gotten here yet, so I'm filling in).

This might belong on Anything Goes rather than Sports and News, but the mods can settle that.

The most important thing is preparation. Do not try to draft off the top of your head. Find some rankings online or go pick up a fantasy baseball magazine. I'm not saying you should follow their rankings exactly, but have them as a guideline.

And don't draft Neifi Perez.
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Mock drafts, viewing already completed drafts or just signing up for a public league on Yahoo! to do a trial draft of a team you don't care about can all be helpful. They'll give you an idea of which round players are going in.

Say you're really high on some young gun, if you haven't seen a draft, you might think you can take him in the 11th round. Only then, in your real draft, he gets taken in the sixth round because everyone else your league got wind of him through the same sites and information you've read. If you had done a draft earlier, you might have seen that player going earlier than you thought you could get him.
  4. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Is it a straight draft or an auction?
  5. spnited

spnited Active Member

One simple tip:

Don't do it!
  6. outofplace

Excellent advice. Much better than spnited. Do it. Succumb to the addiction!
  7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

What he said. Listen to the old man; he speaks the truth!
  8. outofplace

What, one year of SportsJournalists.com Money League turned you off?
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Get at least two lists of rankings. Pick best available player for first 7-8 rounds before filling out positions of need.

And once your finished drafting, check up on your lineups nearly every day. Your roster will be changing (adds/drops).
  10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

This is the best advice.
    Don't be one of those guys that drafts a catcher in the 6th round because you don't have one yet. The fact is there are only a few good catchers, so when you don't get one of those three (Martinez, Posada, Mauer) then you are going to have a shitty one anyway, so you might as well take extra pitchers and worry about your catcher in round 22.
    No one ever lost a fantasy baseball league by running Doug Mirabelli out there, but they have lost by drafting Yorvit Torrabella in the eighth round because they panicked and didn't have a catcher.
  11. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Definitely draft Barry Bonds first. I hear he could have a breakout year.
  12. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

Just don't ask spnited to be your bench coach and you should be good.
Draft saved Draft deleted