1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips for getting started with a new paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jay Sherman, Jun 19, 2008.

1. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Call every coach you can just to introduce yourself to them. Keep their number and let them know you'll keep in touch.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

right off the bat make sure your boss knows you're not in the mood to take his/her shit.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I agree with going out to introduce yourself to ADs and coaches. Also reading up on the teams you're covering in your shop's archives is a great idea.

As for acclimating yourself to the people you're going to be working with, my suggestion is to do some observing and a lot of listening.

4. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

The paper's online archives only go back 10 days, but I've been looking and seeing what they cover. I've Googled to see what the high schools in their coverage area are, but haven't found much luck. I'll keep digging now that I know I start in two weeks.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Why the fuck is that true? Damn it.

6. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Also, don't join cliques right away. Stay out of the bullshit as long as you can.

7. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Do like I did and get a desk back in a corner with higher partitions than those in the rest of the newsroom. I'd be willing to bet no more than two or three people outside sports know who I am and even pople in the department who sit within 10 feet of me have to ask if I'm still there. I may not be invisible, but management typespeople have to make an effort to see me.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You could just call and ask what they cover. Tell them you want to do some research. They'll be happy with you. Also, surely their online archives go back farther. Do you have to do an advanced search?

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Ask for a copy of the paper's in-house style guide. May help to get acquainted with proper names for stadiums, schools, teams, etc. It's something you can read through as you're waiting to get started, or if you have a little downtime on your first day (if they don't throw you into the fire).

10. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Do what Tom says.

And don't forget the thing about packing in five minutes.

I find a lot of papers have had a prep guy who was there forever. If your paper has/had one, have long conversations and find out all about the coverage area.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Definitely don't join right away. Scope them all out and see which one wields the power. Then join that one.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

It's pretty much like Big Brother or Survivor in that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted