1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips for covering Division I football?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bristol Whipped, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

All of this made me laugh.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

What. the. hell?

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Outing alert: Mizzougrad is chazp. :D

-----

Get there early. Download/read the game notes beforehand. Beat guys: Do the ADs generally shoot BS with the reporters from said team's hometown rag, even if it's just a stand-in guy? If you are a stand-in guy, introduce yourself to the SID.

Work on your notes early, especially if it's a 6 p.m. or later kickoff.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If I were to bring a woman into the press box, it would not be merely to make out with her.

5. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

Post of the week.

As for the question....whatever you do make sure you make a reference to the play of the o-line. No one actually has a clue if the line is good or not. If you talk authoritatively about line play, people will think you actually know what you are talking about.

It's all about the hogs.

6. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

As he put it, she was so drunk that he had to keep her awake. It was a pretty awkward situation for everybody involved.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

How do these kids get degrees nowadays?

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Do take time to soak in the atmosphere. I don't remember the gamer from my first D-1 game (though I'm sure it sucked), but I remember walking around the tailgates and being the first guy in the press box.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

If it's a day game and deadline is not an issue, try not to get too bogged down in keeping your own play by play. Let the SID staff do that for you. Just write down the big plays and make note of the defensive stuff, as suggested, because that's not always in the book.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Since it's a night game, don't say out loud, "Hey, this game should be over by (time)."

I did that last night. Game went four overtimes.

I should have known better.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Damn. Post No. 2. As soon as I saw the thread, I was going to write the same thing, but you beat me to it by a mile.

As for real advice: These a-holes are just giving you shit. It's frowned upon to sing the school's fight song, or even cheer at in the press box. Make sure you download and set the team's song as your cell phone ringer, though.

12. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

1. Make sure you have your impersonation of your team's coach down pat.
    2. Be pessimistic and sarcastic at all times.
    3. Speak in derogatory terms about the quality of your own work -- your "bad gamer" and "bad sidebar."
    4. At least three or four times, mutter under your breath "you've got to be fucking shitting me."
    5. Throw an extra burrito (or whatever it is) into your bag.

Draft saved Draft deleted