1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips for an interview... position: Editorial Assistant

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mitch21, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

I have an interview coming up with a newspaper for a position as an editorial assistant. I recently graduated in May and am still trying to break in to "the biz." I have done a lot of reading as far as interviews for sports writing position (my shoes will look nice) on this site but I was wondering if I could get some advice for interviews regarding this particular position.

What are some of the things that separates this position from other writing positions within a newspaper?

Are their some qualities that I should display during the interview aside from my writing abilities that would come in handy for a position like this?

This (at least to me) is a big time interview and could really change a lot of things in my life, any help is greatly appreciated as I am looking to prepare myself as much as possible for this interview/position.

I have already done some research on the interviewers as well as the newspaper. I hope to show this info. in the interview without saying "I did some research, this is what I know." I will just try to work in to the conversation.

This website is amazing and I believe that it gives me a significant advantage over the other people who will be interviewed for the position because it gives me an opportunity to pick the brains of some of the best in the business.

Thanks in advance!

2. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Hey, if you can brown-nose that well in the interview, you might be OK.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So what are the duties? To me, editorial assistant would be a clerk-type job.

Now, at some papers, "editorial" strictly means the op-ed pages. Other places it means the news operation.

4. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

The job reports to the night time desk editor. I believe there are some clerk type duties, however, I was told that if the person they hire can go out and do other things, that would be a plus as well.

5. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

I guess a part of me is still wondering what the role of editorial assistant does at most papers...so I can prepare accordingly.

If this helps it is a very large paper.

6. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/47963/

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Shine your shoes and send a thank you card.

8. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

thnaks...that seems about right...the position I applied for is about the same I just couldn't remember the complete job description and its been taken down since.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Just remember: There is a difference between "being able" to go out and do other things and "constantly pestering your boss" to be allowed to do so.

10. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

Thanks Ace, you are definitely right about that.

Don't see me doing that... I'd just be happy to get to drive my car there every day and park it in the parking lot.

11. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Don't show them this thread, as a writing sample. Too many gramm. errors.
    I know, I know. ;-)

(And don't let on you're a fanboy of teams whose logos insult the Native American. Newspapers are kind of PC that way).

12. Mira

Mira Member

An editorial assistant position consists of doing whatever you're asked and being a "yes" man or woman.

I was an editorial assistant and agate clerk in my early days. An editorial assistant does whatever the lowest-level reporter doesn't do. That includes answering phones, taking bowling scores, working multiple nights taking college and prep boxes and roundups ... and answering phones.

I eventually did some writing and got some terrific assignments. But first and foremost, I did a decent job as an editorial assistant.

Be patient, display eagerness to write and do more, but let them come to you. Don't think this job will automatically put you in prime spot for a writing job.

Draft saved Draft deleted