1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips for a three-day trip to D.C.?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Small Town Guy, May 5, 2008.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Arlington should be on your list, and the changing of the guard should be a definite if you plan to visit.

Spy Museum is cool, as is the Smithsonian. There is a room in the Smithsonian (natural history), and I can't remember its name, but it has maps of Pittsburg(H) from the French-Indian War, other old papers from the early days of the U.S. and just cool stuff.

Ford's Theatre was a nice stop and there's some good history behind the assassination. It had been planned for months and involved the top leaders of government, not just Lincoln.

Go see the Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, etc.

White House tours are available but I believe you have to call in advance. You also can contact your senators or representatives and try to get tickets to the House or Senate galleries, if they're in session. Tour the Capitol, too. Great artwork and history.

*sigh* fixed

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Before anyone jumps on him, he did spell my hometown correctly when referencing the time period of the map.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

He's taking the bus into DC, so you're right, here. Still if you avoid the rush, you should be okay to drive on most days.

4. The Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Wall and Korean War Memorial are all right in one area. They're all free too. Jefferson Monument, WWII, Washington Monument and FDR are all very close to that as well.
    The Smithsonian is huge. It's a bunch of museums together. Decide which one/ones you want to see and go there.
    They are also free, as I recall.
    The Natural History Museum was my favorite. The National Gallery was pretty cool too.
    Learn and love the Metro. Don't try to drive.
    You have to at least see the Capitol and the White House from the outside, even if you don't get to go in. The Capitol tour is free, but you only get into the rotunda (not House or Senate chambers) unless you visit your Senator/Representative and get them to set up a tour for you.
    Never done that, so I have no idea if that's worth the time and energy.
    Take lots and lots and lots and lots of pictures.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Oh, and a few words of advice from a longtime Metro rider:

If you go on the escalators and you want to stand, do so on the RIGHT side and let people walk up the left side. If you stand on the left, a lot of harried workers will be pissed off at you. If I'm behind you, prepare for a bout of Metro rage.

Also, don't block the doors of the train. It can cause mechanical problems. It will piss off the people in the train who are trying to get from Point A to Point B.

6. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

We did a moonlight monument tour that was a fantastic way to see all the monuments and learn their stories. It was about $40 as I recall.

We also toured the mint, which was neat and different.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I look forward to comparing it to subway rage on the 1 train at rush hour here. I hadn't thought of Ford's Theatre. I read Manhunt about Booth and it's a fascinating story so might have to add that.

Arlington, yes. You could have a pretty depressing/solemn trip it sounds like if you just hit the Vietnam Memorial, WWII, Holcaust, Arlington, and a Nationals game.

8. Holocaust pissed me off (That can be taken several ways, I know) because there were so many little punk kids just running wild.
    You could spend all day in there reading things, watching clips, etc. Instead, the wife and I walked through pretty briskly because the entire experience was ruined by brats who had no appreciation of the place.

9. Hustle

Hustle Guest

You guys are right in that you can get White House tours, but they have to be booked through a Congressional office (i.e., your Rep./Sen.) but must be done months in advance. I believe the Secret Service checks everyone out pretty thoroughly (I remember hearing/reading that Social Security numbers are a must).

If you were coming in 2015, you'd be able to take Metro (maybe) to the Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, which is the extension of the Air & Space Museum. Definitely a must if you can get there but since you can't...

Ditto on Arlington. Don't miss it; the changing of the guard is very impressive as others have said. If you see JFK's grave, you may also want to see RFK's grave, which is essentially unmarked but not far from his brother. You may, sadly, also happen upon a funeral.

After that, I think your best bet is to start at the Lincoln Memorial and work your way east. The Vietnam Memorial is nearby; walk east on Constitution Ave. and hang a right on 17th; a half-block down you'll be at the WWII Memorial, which is very impressive. That's a short walk from the Washington Monument, which you probably won't want to stay long at - there's really not much to see. You'll also be able to see the White House from there and can walk as close as you want (provided you don't piss off any Secret Service folks).

Walk south on 14th to Independence; you'll find the Holocaust Museum there. I've never been, but I've heard great things - so long as you're up for handling the emotions that come with it. The Treasury Dept. is next door to the Holocaust Museum on 14th, if you're interested.

Head back north to the Mall and start walking toward the Capitol. The many buildings of the Smithsonian will be on your right and left; pick one of the early buildings and get a map so you know what's what. Toward the end, you'll get to the National Gallery and National Museum of the American Indian. That leave you a couple blocks from the Capitol.

Behind the Capitol is the Supreme Court, if you're interested in that. A few blocks north/northeast is Union Station; they have some eateries there and such but it's mostly touristy. You'll find some better places before that, right around where D St., 2nd St. and Massachusetts Ave. all intersect - Lounge 201, The Monocle (a little pricey) or Union Pub.

10. This isn't a bad trip suggestion, but make sure you don't miss the Korean War Memorial. It's basically on Lincoln's right, while the Vietnam Wall is on his left. To me, Korean was the better of the two, but more importantly, these are about as close together as you're going to find major things in D.C., so don't miss out on a three-for-one.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Staying by the Navy Yard? Take a walk through Anacostia. I hear it's beautiful around midnight or so.

Seriously, you'll reget it if you don't take in the Nats. Or so I've heard. The National Archives Bldg. was decent if you're into that kind of thing. Might want to check the Improv sked as well. It's right downtown.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What I would see in order of preference:

1 Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
    2 Linclon Memorial
    3 Viet Nam Memorial
    4 WWII Monument
    5 Spy Museaum ( you used to need reservations better check first)
    6 Bureau of documents ( Bill of Rights and Dec of independance.

You need ticket for White House tour through your congressmen- same with Capital

Draft saved Draft deleted