1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips for a three-day trip to D.C.?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Small Town Guy, May 5, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Many of the museums off of the reflecting pond are free.

If you want to keep the cost down, those might be good to hit first.

The National Zoo is free as well, but unless you are jonesing to see a Panda, you might have better ones in NYC. In fact, I have been to both, and the National Zoo is on par with The Bronx Zoo. No Yankee jokes, please.

The Metro runs a little different than the Subway, so I think day passes are your best bet. The charge for the ride is on distance.

I would also check out if there are any demonstrations planned that weekend on the lawn. They can be fun.

The Spy Museum costs money, but if you are choosing to go through it, try to watch Breach with Chris Cooper.

Oh, do me a favor, if you see Bush, Cheney or Rice, be sure to call them swine fecal matter for me.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Not sure about the Washington Monument (every time I've been to DC it has been under repair), but all of the other monuments are free.

Definitely hit the Lincoln Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial, the Vietnam Wall and anything else. They are breathtaking.

Just promise me you won't be one of those people that talks on their cell phones and lets their kids run wild around the memorials. I hate those people.

Nothing like trying to stand at the feet of Lincoln and read his powerful words engraved in the wall, only to have some little rugrat, screaming at the top of their lungs trying to climb onto Lincoln.

Oh, and I've haven't been to DC since the WWII Memorial opened. Is it as awesome as it looks in pictures?

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Oh, and I'd definitely recommend seeing Arlington Cemetery. It is amazing. The eternal flame and the tomb of the unknown soldiers is very fascinating. Plus they have a memorial for the astronauts that died and many other cool stuff there. It is a cool view from the hill in the cemetery overlooking the city and being able to see the four points laid out - the cemetery, the Capitol building, Washington Monument (and one more I can't remember).

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

From the wife...it's too late to see the cherry blossoms, right?

Spy Museum looks very cool. Yeah, no zoo; we just went to the Bronx Zoo and that's enough zoo time for the year.

And...no kids, so we'll be the ones getting annoyed.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

If you have the time, drive down to Mount Vernon one day.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes.
    But there are cherry blossom trees at the ballpark. Just a short walk away, with a Starbucks in between if you get thirsty.
    Leave your windows open. Wily Mo's first HR may sail through.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sorry.

Don't try driving anywhere. You could waste 1/2 a day.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Spy Musuem best thing I ever saw there.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What about the Newseum?

[/ducking]

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Me, I'd go to the ballgame all three days but what do I know? I grew up there, have seen all the other stuff. Except the Holocaust and Spy museums.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Fixed, in accordance to some of the neanderthals on here 10 years behind the times.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I second Arlington. Very cool indeed. What I did was went to Arlington, i purchased the hop-on, hop-off bus pass and then let that take me past all the sights. You can jump and off the busses as you like and it's 100 times easier than driving. Finding spots to park can be brutal. My pass was good for two days. Changing of the guard was pretty cool at Arlington although I was a little underwhelmed by JFK's grave for some reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted