1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips for a three-day trip to D.C.?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Small Town Guy, May 5, 2008.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Taking the bus from NYC down to D.C. on Friday. We're staying a couple of nights and coming back late in the afternoon on Sunday. I've never been there, and am trying to figure out what to see, and what I'm going to have to put off for another trip. I'd obviously like to see as much as possible, but don't want to just speed through everything and not get the chance to enjoy the sites we do get to. Like, if we only have a couple of hours at the Smithsonian, what in the hell do you pick to see? Same thing with the Library of Congress.

Do they still give White House tours? Is it expensive to go into the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, etc.?

We're staying at the Marriott Courtyard Navy Yard. Seems like it's pretty close to everything, and it's by the Metro. Thanks for any advice.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Too much to do in just three days but the Air and Space Museum, now out in Va., is a must.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Depends what your interests are. For me, personally, I'd probably hit up the American History Museum if it weren't closed for renovations. My second choice would be the Air and Space Museum, but I don't know what your interests are when it comes to musea.

You might want to try the Washington Monument or the Vietnam Memorial. I've heard raves about the Spy Museum. The Newseum is open, but at $20 per pop, I wouldn't recommend it.

Plus, the Nationals begin a three game series against the Florida Marlins Friday night at Nationals Park. It's beautiful there.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You can see Nats Park from there. They are home this weekend. That's one must.
    I'd vote for Arlington Cemetary and the Smithsonian but there's a lot going on in D.C.
    Holocaust Museum, too.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten about the Air and Space one. That's a definite for me, I think. What's the World War II Memorial like? The Holocaust Museum and Vietnam Memorial are on the list.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Even if you ignore my excellent suggestion of a ballgame at the new park, study this sked because you ain't getting near the subway an hour before the game or an hour afterward:

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=was

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Go to Danger Dan's bar in, I think, Adams Morgan. Order a mixed drink, they give you a half-pint bottle of the liquor, one cup with ice and one with your mixer.

8. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Baseball, Arlington Cemetary, Spy Museum and walk the Mall area/reflecting pool (this gets vietnam & lincoln memorials in, they're my two favorites). WW2 memorial is also cool.

9. Skip the Washington Memorial - too time consuming.

I heartily recommend the Library of Congress.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Ford's Theatre is very cool. (Theater?) Took less than an hour.

11. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Spy Museum rocks.

They do give White House tours, but the best way to make sure to get in is to reserve through your congressman's office. Might be too late for this weekend, but worth a call to find out. You should be able to go through the local office instead of calling D.C., but they can tell you for sure.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Go to the Capitol too. Pass on the Zoo, unless you really want to see pandas.

Draft saved Draft deleted