1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tipping question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Seahawk, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Hell, no!

I can do that myself.

I'd tip the guy that delivers the 12-pack of Coors. [/Chef]

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Or you can get Mose to do.

That went right past me.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Buy Wal-Mart.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

What did the leper say to the prostitute?

keep the tip

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

The example of dishwasher installation came up early.
    (Let me preface by saying, I'm all for tipping...even generous under most circumstances).
    I've installed a dishwasher, once. ONCE. It's a pain in the ass. So, the next one we bought, there was an extra $50 for delivery and installation. It's a price I paid on top of the price of the dishwasher.
    He was in-and-out under an hour. (Who hear clears $50 an hour?)
    Sidebar: It was the best $50 I've ever spent.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Guys who delivered the plasma, they unhesitatingly moved some large furniture for me. I gave them $20. My daughter's new bed, I think it was $5. I think $5 for the guys who delivered/installed a new washing machine.
    The guy who installed the dishwasher, he was an asshole and he got no tip. He handed me a list of things I had to buy extra for the installation -- hoses, clamps, the air thingee. I said OK. The hose was supposed to be 18 inches. He cut off an 8-inch piece from a bulk roll. He had a bunch of used hose clamps. After he was done, I asked him why he didn't use new clamps, since I paid for new clamps. He started whining. I made him give me the new ones, but not install them.
    We have free freeway service during rush hour. I got a flat tire one time and the guy happened by a few minutes later. I could have changed the tire, but I would have gotten all dirty and I was on the way to work. He changed the tire. I tried to give him $5 and he refused it. I insisted, he said he is not allowed to accept tips. I threw the $5 through the window into the cab of his truck and said tonight's first beer is on me.

7. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

This is an interesting question.

I would not tip -- because, in most cases, you are paying extra for the installation.

Draft saved Draft deleted