1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tipping question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Seahawk, Jun 3, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

I have no idea what bad movie that's from.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

But it probably featured your favourite comedian, Will Farrell.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

What is this, Grumpy Old Men? :D

No, it's from The Office.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

My uncle owned an appliance store for 50 years, so I come to this question with a fair amount of expertise, having delivered for him over summers, weekends home from college, etc. The answer is no. You'll be lucky if they don't drop everything down the steps. I'll guarantee you that if you ask the installers to level the items they brought, they'll have to look in the instruction manual to try and figure out how to do it.

If they're installing a dishwasher and you have a garbage disposal, watch them during the installation. If they install the dishwasher and they never touch the disposal in the process, that's a dead giveaway they're rookies. (And you'll be calling the company for a service call the first time you use it because you'll find 2 inches of water in the bottom of the unit when you go to empty it.)

Good luck.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I've never tipped an appliance delivery person and I never will. I figure the delivery charge that is added to the sale price is sufficient. Plus, they probably make more that I do.

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I worked with the Ex in an appliance installation business for over 15 years, and I can tell you that the things Trifectarich refers to don't happen in our company. But maybe that is because all they do is install the appliances, not sell them. And the people selling them never install. Let a person do the job that they know how to do and they will do it well.

Maybe we hold out installers up to a higher standard. That might explain why the company is still making a lot of money, despite the housing slump that is going on.

That being said, yes, the installers are paid for their time and do not require, nor ever expect, a tip. That doesn't mean that it doesn't happen (on a rather rare basis.) And when it does happen, it goes straight to the installers' pocket and is not money that the company ever sees, which is as it should be. If a homeowner feels so inclined to tip, that is up to them. But not one of our installers in 15 years has ever walked into a house expecting to get a tip.

If you feel they somehow went above and beyond, then by all means tip. But doing their job (which includes leveling, checking to make sure everything works, etc.) is expected anyway they are compenstated for this already.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

what if anne hathaway delivers your appliance?

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

You deliver her yours.

9. Rhody31

You give her a big tip.

10. Rhody31

And what I meant by those two previous posts was you engage her in sexual intercourse.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

glad you cleared that up

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'd give her the whole.

Draft saved Draft deleted