1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

tipping etiquette questions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by zagoshe, May 15, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I always wondered about this. What happens if the girl who worked on Sunday wasn't the one who worked M-F?

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I at least need a reacharound if I'm tipping for a haircut.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just pictured the woman who cuts my hair as I read that and smiled. (That should inspire some fun with quote function). :)

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

OOP, I'm about to have the quote function hounds released, after this one.

I tip $2 on top of an $8 haircut. The Korean barbers around military reservations always give you a massage afterwards. Nothing spectacular, they just rub your head and shoulders, maybe down your arms. The Americans don't do it. Don't know why; guess it's a cultural thing. So, I always go to the Koreans ... especially the Korean women. They're hands aren't quite as big, and they tend to give a more enjoyable massage than the Korean men.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't know what it is, but apparently in NYC (or at least at the nail joint under my friend's apartment), the women give you a massage after your manicure. I had one, then went and sat down to have my nails dry, and she rubbed my back and shoulders for a good 10 minutes. It was AWESOME.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah. I'll pick the Korean barbers over American barbers every time. It's just a value-added service that I'm willing to tip for when I've had a long day/week and want a little ... ahem ... rub down.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

An $8 haircut? :eek:

Are new Studebakers selling for $500 around the corner?

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Exactly. That's why it's better to leave a tip every day.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Heh.

Only $8, but Floyd's hands are a bit shaky these days. There may be blood.

[​IMG]

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It never has . . . though so far, the Neanderthals haven't shown up.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

[​IMG]

Three Bags Full, above, tries to tell his barber he's all out of money after his seventh haircut of the week.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

After one too many Bowl Cut Specials at StuporCuts, my wife finally convinced me to go to her hairdresser...who is very, Very, VERY pretty, but also a long-time friend of the family and the woman who did my wife's hair the morning of our wedding. So thanks for THOSE THOUGHTS.

Actually it's not that bad, usually I get one of her dude employees to cut my hair. And I always tip generously. I prefer to go months between haircuts (why bother? seriously? this is why combs, hair gel and hats were invented) so it's nice if someone does a good enough job so that I can go the months without returning.

Same tipping philosophy goes for just about everything else. My wife and I argue all the time about it. She's a stickler for 15 pct, but a bunch of my friends delivered pizza during college and I know what a bitch of a job that can be. So I usually go 20-25 pct on delivery food. Mostly the same for restaurants...I'll figure out what the tip is on my EZ Tip Calculator (what did we do before cell phones?) and then give a little more, unless the waiter/waitress truly sucked. Even then, I don't have the heart to give nothing. As a good friend of mine notes, most of the time, if the service sucks, it means someone is fucking up in the kitchen and it's not fair to punish the server.

Draft saved Draft deleted