1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

tipping etiquette questions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by zagoshe, May 15, 2009.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Bad enough they have them at Qdoba. No, I'm not tipping for my $7 burrito to go, thank you.

How much do you tip a chamber maid?

2. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

I don't tip if I know they're making more than minimum wage. Bartenders usually make wait staff wages because their tips make up for it, so I tip them and usually tip them really well.

Sonic? No way. They make more than I do at my part-time job taking pictures of kids.

Starbucks? Really no way.

If I call in an order or walk in to place a takeout order, yes. Usually a waiter gets stuck on that for a night, and it sucks. If I know it's just a host, I'll tip less because hosts get more than minimum wage.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

hese joints often stuff the "tips" jar with singles and change themselves. it's part of the charm to get folks to dig into their pockets. :eek: :eek: :eek:

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I'd throw a buck in the Starbucks (if, like you, my wife had somehow convinced me it was life-or-death to get some for her), more to the wings guy.

Anyone who rattles a tip jar to attract attention, forget it. Otherwise I'll usually slip a dollar in. Why not?

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I'd have tipped for the wings if it was in a bar and not someplace like a Wing Stop. And if the guy gave you a weird look, and the wings came out 10 minutes later, it sounds like you might've gotten some "secret sauce" on the wings. I hope you don't really like going to that bar.

The Starbucks and pizza place, I'd put in the loose change back from the bill, or maybe pull 50 cents out of my pocket if the loose change wasn't much.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I second this. If you want coffee, get a coffee pot and make your own, dammit!

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

That would've been my suggestion, but he said it was for his wife. Marital discord avoidance is worth a trip to Starbucks because the other choice is a trip to Hell.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I agree here, too. Saw a guy recently who works at one local restaurant I haven't gone to in months. He still recognized me and said hello.

I went to my favorite university watering hole last Friday for a couple beers. Most of the bartenders know me and I've gotten in really good with one manager in particular. When I went to pay my tab for two beers, the bartender looked at me and said, "you don't have a tab."

I make it a point to tip very, very well. That's the proof in the pudding as to why.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I try to leave a buck per day, more if I've got the whole family staying in the room.

I forget every once in a while and always feel guilty. Big believer in maid-tipping.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I used to leave a few bucks a day, but then I just completely stopped carrying cash. I always feel guilty, but I just can't break a $20 just to have a few singles to leave them, because then I blow the rest.

Money's tight. :(

Restaurants, however, I tip well. Start at 20 percent, go up or down.

If I walk into your establishment and never sit down before getting my food/drink, no tip. Except occasionally Coldstone.

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Something interesting I found out in Ireland last month. You don't have to tip the wait staff there. They make a decent wage already and don't expect it unless they did outstanding in their service. I still felt awkward to not tip. The waitress told me for lunch, it's not expected at all, and maybe 10% at dinner.

I was thinking, damn all those 5 euro tips I could have had back..... oh well

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

That's what we found there. The most they expect is the odd change from a bill, but as you say, they are paid a living wage.

The same holds in Greece. When we were there, a waitress at a taverna we'd visited a few times got us some plates and stuff for a birthday cake for our nephew. I tried to give her a euro for her trouble but she wouldn't take it.

Draft saved Draft deleted