1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tip or not

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 24, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Ours is 18. I had one returned to me for tipping 20. So I do what you do. I just eat the difference.

One of my facebook groups is "If you can't afford to tip 20 percent, don't go out to eat. Period."

JR, they do that here on groups of six or more, usually, but it's 18 percent nearly all the time on those.

KevinmH9, I tip my hairdresser like it's going out of style. Minimum 25 percent. That man is doing something that will affect me for at least 6-8 weeks...damn straight I want to make him happy.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I regularly tip my barber $3, sometimes $4-5 if I'm feeling generous. (That's for a $14 haircut.)

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I tip generously. When you do so at a restaurant you frequent, word gets around.

I've gone there and people who work there won't know me from Adam one day and they'll be calling me by name the next day. I've also gotten my share of reduced tabs and free drinks there. And not because service has been lousy.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Back to tipping waitresses/waiters for a second.

Whatever you tip, try to leave cash at the table, instead of putting it on your debit/credit card that you use to pay for the meal.

If you just add it to the card, the restaurant adds that to the servers paycheck, instead of getting it right then if you had used cash.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Tipping is good karma.

I don't do Starbucks cups or that kind of b.s., but I'm good in restaurants and hotel rooms. I'll throw the tow truck guy a sawbuck every time (I see them with some regularity, driving old Chrysler products). Movers and anyone else who does real grunt crap around the house too. And of course I'll throw a Hard Eight for the dealers all day long at a craps table.

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Got a haircut and highlights recently and total was $104. I gave her a $8 tip. Based on your 15% bottomline, I was a cheapskate! On the other hand, since I waitressed some in college, I definitely tip 20% for most service that's decent or better.

Mr. Sxy tips his bartenders 25-50% easy. Makes me cringe sometime, but he has this saying: "Always tip your barbers and bartenders because they can really fuck you up if you don't."

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm about $2-$3 on the haircut.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Do they charge you extra for "The Preppy"?

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Nope. That's included. But the bottle of moose isn't.

10. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I remember the thing that most surprised me about Seattle when I moved there was how every frikkin' place had a tip jar.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

[​IMG]

Bottle of moose?

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You'd think it was a typo. But that's what gets this hair in perfect shape. Try it. You won't be sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted