1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tip or not

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 24, 2008.

1. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

That's what I do, mainly because they have an awful job.

On tipping in general, Dwight Schrute had some excellent advice. He stiffed the pizza delivery guy, and explained he only tips for things he can't do himself. He could deliver a pizza. But he tips his urologist because "I'm not capable of crushing my own kidney stones."
    [​IMG]

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

What's anything more? take you in the back and suck your dick. [Mr. Blue]

I usually tip 20 percent at a restaurant unless service really sucks.

I don't tip the maid in a hotel. I usually give the pizza guy a few bucks.

I never tip the Starbucks guy. I've heard they aren't paid less like most waiters or waitresses. If that makes me cheap, so be it. I do tip the worker at our local coffee shop.

As far as service, I never had much of an occasion, but I did tip a guy 20 bucks for carrying a heavy ass TV down the hill at my grandmothers and into my car.

She still wonder what happened to that TV! kidding.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

What are you, 80 years old? ::)

(And no offense to the elderly, but at least they have the excuse of growing up in the Depression and ration-era WWII. They have a different standard.)

20 percent, minimum. If it's really shitty service, drop it to 15. Maybe.

10 percent? I would, and have, given it back when I used to work for tips. (And because I used to work for tips, that's why I agree with Moddy: TIP BIG, unless you absolutely can't afford to do so. And I understand that some people can't. I couldn't, up until a couple years ago.)

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I spent years as a waiter and bartender, and I'm pretty sure I will ultimately spend more money overtipping over the course of my life than I ever made at those jobs. Knowing how many miserable cheapskates there are out there, I figure I'm at least canceling one of them out. And what I keep reminding myself when deciding a tip is that that dollar means more to them than it does to me.

And I have a personal policy of tipping 100 percent at Denny's. Anybody who waits tables at Denny's has probably had a pretty lousy go in life, and you know most of the people who eat there don't tip shit. That extra 10 bucks will absolutely make that person's week, and it's not often you get a chance to make someone's week with something so simple.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jesus, you yanks are fuckin' tip-crazy. :)

But the minimum for a restaurant tip is 15%. Absolute minimum.

Personally I like the way some restaurants do it for large groups: 15% added on your bill for service.

That way, if a table of eight's bill comes to $600.00, the server isn't screwed with a $20 tip.

And it happens all the time.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips, that's fucked up. That ain't my fault. It would seem to me that waitresses are one of the many groups the government fucks in the ass on a regular basis.

Look, if you ask me to sign something that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it, put it to a vote, I'll vote for it, but what I won't do is play ball.

And as for this non-college bullshit I got two words for that: learn to fuckin' type, cuz if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big fuckin' surprise.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We get yelled at if we tip more than 15 percent when we eat out on the company dime. So I end up usually tipping 20-22 percent and writing 15 percent down on the receipt I turn in.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

At restaurants

30 percent if they do something like cook at your table or roll your sushi.

20 percent if it's great.

15 percent if it's OK.

10 percent if it's bad.

Less if it's really, really bad.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If the service is so bad that I want to tip less than 15 percent, I normally say something to the manager and hand the tip to him.

And 10 percent is really fucking cheap.

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I can say I've never had a bad mean or bad service. If I did, I can usually understand that the roots of the bad service may come from something completely uncontrollable. We all have our bad days. I tip 18%-20% every time I walk into a restaurant. This, however, I found startling. My buddy and I were arguing about tipping your barber. Would you? I get $9 hair cuts and I usually throw her a ten and tell her to keep the change.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I tip my hairdresser about 15 percent.

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Especially at a place you eat frequently. Servers remember that. Otherwise, you might end up with Horatio Sanz wiping his ass with your pancakes.

Draft saved Draft deleted