1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tip or not

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 24, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

A tip is better than no tip so as long as the guy/girl left at least a reasonable amount, I don't see what the problem is.

Of course, it they just used it to make change, that's F-ed up.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

New Year's Eve, I wanted to give our server a little extra cash, because she had done a great job for one of the busiest nights of the year.

I handed her a fin and told she was awesome.

I woke up the next morning, sober, and figured out that I'd given her a 20 instead of a five.

No wonder she hugged me.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I did that in college to one of the hockey players who tended bar at the place we hung out.

I never paid for drinks when he was working again.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Back in my pizza delivery days, some dude, absolutely plastered when he answered the front doorbell, handed me two twenties as a tip (bill was something like $21 and he handed me $60. I told him he had probably made a mistake, but he squinted at the bills real hard and said, "Yeeeeah, but I can't read these numbers anyway. You keep it."

That job was fun, man. :D

I'm not sure how he felt about it in the morning, but I didn't complain.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Do pizza delivery charges go to the company or the driver?

I get tired of giving a $3 tip on top of being charged $2 for a delivery charge.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

When I worked at Papa John's, it was a 75-cent delivery charge and it went mostly to the company. The way we got paid, you turned in all your reciepts at the end of the night and the delivery charge was subtracted from the total owed (kind of like a deduction on your taxes). Then you turned in all the total cash and CC slips, and the manager gave you the difference as take-home pay.

The delivery charge is basically a subsidy since they don't pay mileage to their drivers. You ARE paying for the delivery, and gas costs money. Don't confuse the delivery charge for a tip, though. Tips go straight to the driver; the delivery charge helps but indirectly.

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

GEORGE: So let me ask you a question about the tip jar. I had a little thing with the calzone guy this week. I go to drop a buck in the tip jar and just as I am about to drop it in he looks the other way. And then when I am leaving he gives me this look think thanks for nothing. I mean if they don't notice it what's the point.

JERRY: So you don't make it a habit of giving to the blind.

GEORGE: Not bills.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

What about tipping the person at Outback that brings out the bag of food to your car? I say no.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted