1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tip or not

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 24, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Sorry, it was a Seinfeld line.

I don't tip at a hotel. I used to work at one, so I do my best to clean up after myself, instead.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I did a major gut and renovation on my place that took between 2 and 3 months. I was pretty involved, to the point that I was around alot and even chipping in on some of the easier work (yes, I am an idiot -- paying someone and then helping do the work -- but I was homeless for close to two months and the longer they took, the longer I was going to be homeless.). They were a good group of guys and they did a lot of little "extras" for me. I didn't quite know the protocol for tipping, but I'd tossed some bills their way a few times and made sure to buy lunch for everyone at least once every week, and even bought the beer when my phone line got clipped during the demo and we couldn't trace it to the mess in my building's basement and my general contractor made two special trips out with a friend of his who lays fiberoptics for verizon to try to fix it. It was a bit different situation. I was paying a fortune to begin with, but by showing my GC and the guys working for him that I was appreciative, established a great relationship, to the point that we were really up front about how much he was ripping me off, instead of having to play a game whenever there was a revised work order because of unexpected things. And because he appreciated my approach -- I allowed him to earn something without fighting him on everything, they ended up doing a lot of extra work that added some really slick touches to the place, without my GC nickle and diming me for it -- particularly with some custom carpentry, which my GC does really well. So in general, I have found that if you do nice things for people without expectations, you can establish a good relationship that pays itself back.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I tip a few bucks a day for the maid at a hotel. Don't do it on the last day only, because it's sometimes different people.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I used to work alongside somebody who would routinely call the front desk and ask for things like shaving cream or a toothbrush. He would then tell them to slide it under the door, or leave it by the door so he wouldn't have to tip them.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

What do you tip a wood guy?

6. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I spent a year working at a full service gas station. It hit over 100 during the summer for a few days and was -30 with a -60 wind chill in the winter for a few days. Both times, had people running in like crazy to get their cars checked out due to concerns about the weather.

I got tipped once that whole year, by some college girl in it was 60 degrees and she was the only customer I had in about an hour.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I didn't know there was a fireplace.

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I think there are different expectations for tipping depending on where you live. In the Northeast, everyone seems to expect a tip for everything. In the South and West, not so much. I wouldn't tip an HVAC contractor, but I might have some cold beer waiting for them at 5 o'clock.

I do sometimes tip hotel maids, depending on how long I'm staying and if I have them do anything extra for me. Those people work their asses off and are paid minimum wage.

And my restaurant tips start at 20%, but I'll start dropping it if the service sucks. It has to be pretty bad to get below 15% though.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Those are the guys who usually just steal the change out of your cup holders.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Dear Penthouse, I never thought I'd be writing a letter to you but ...

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

No offense, but that's cheap as fuck.

If I can't afford to put down a 20 percent tip, I can't afford to go out to eat. Obviously, if a server gives me attitude or something, I don't tip that much. But many servers get paid below minimum wage per hour and rely on tips to make ends meet.

If you think your paycheck is bad as a journo, you should see a server's paycheck without tips. Restaurants make Lean Dean seem like a spendthrift.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

As a restaurant worker's father, I say - TIP BIG. REAL BIG. HUGE.

Draft saved Draft deleted