1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Greenhorn, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I tried to get through the book twice before the movie came out and never got more than about halfway. So I at least knew the basics when I went to see it.

I shudder that the thought of trying to follow along without that background. There never really is any kind of "get the audience up to speed" conversation. I found it annoying that there wasn't one early in the movie, though I thought it was somewhat of a nice touch not to have one at the end, explaining what had happened, or how he figured it out.

Then again, I had to explain virtually every scene to my roommate after we walked out of the theater. He really had no idea what he was getting himself into when I suggested we go.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Yeah, but it wasn't really a "big-screen" movie, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are a bunch of people who never read the book who thought they might like to see it, but figured they wouldn't lose anything waiting for it to hit DVD or Netflix.

Draft saved Draft deleted