1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tin Cup alert!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 5, 2009.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

So, which is the better Costner sports movie monologue, Crash Davis on what he believes or Roy McAvoy on the golf swing?

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

God, I love SportsJournalists.com. The minute I found this board, I knew I was done with bar girls, strippers and motorcycle chicks. (Sadly.)

3. Petrie

Petrie Guest

[​IMG]

This guy doesn't see what the big deal is. He usually lets his defensemen take the penalty shots though...

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Rene Russo was easily the best part of the film. And Don Johnson was put in a tailor-made role and knocked it out of the park.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Even Youngblood had to wear his helmet for his penalty shot.

A shot which, by the way, was a goal as soon as the puck crossed the plane of the goal line, regardless of where the puck actually came to rest......fail on the dramatic slo-mo.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

She's also not Julie Bowen. :D

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

The 18th was what.........550 yards.......and Daly supposedly laid up?

Really?

550 is Driver, 6 iron for 70 percent of tour pros.

8. That's the part that really gets me.
    I was practically hollering at my wife last night. This is such bullshit. There is a no way a 3-wood shot does that. NO Way.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Got to give a shout out to Dead Solid Perfect. Dan Jenkins co-wrote the thing for HBO in the late 1980s. Randy Quaid is pretty damn good in it and there is even a guy playing a sportscaster who goes by the name Keith Olbermann.
    And Peter Jacobsen, the golfer, is in it.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Actually, both were his best moments in each movie. The rest of each flick, not so much.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I think I've still got a VHS copy of that somewhere. Jenkins has a pretty good cameo.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Tin Cup monologue by far. The one in Bull Durham always seemed forced. Whereas I fully believe that Roy McAvoy would wax poetic about a golf swing for hours.

Draft saved Draft deleted