1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Times-Union reporter arrested for 911 misuse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Guessing alcohol was a factor.

2. SellOut

SellOut Member

Saw TBL linked to it. McIntyre said something like he was surprised it was in there. Pretty sure the TU is like most papers in which anytime one of their employees is arrested they report on it in a show of transparency. Still sucks though.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know... I'm not sure I would have put it in the paper.

Domestic abuse, DUI, I think it fair game. I don't know about this one...

4. I think they did it right.
    An arrest. Not a big deal, but an arrest of a reporter, still.

5. Mizzougrad96

I don't think the TU did anything wrong. If that's they're policy, I respect them for it.

There are just so many other places that take it to the other extreme and don't report it when the editors or columnists are caught driving drunk or whatever...

I worked at one place where the columnist had so many DUIs that his license was revoked and after one of his, we were all called into the office to discuss it.

We were all sure he was getting fired.

The first thing the exec editor said was that "We needed to make sure we did whatever we could to make sure we protected the columnist's privacy."

6. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Have to do it. If a UF football player or a Jag is arrested under the same circumstances, it's going in the paper.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's Jacksonville. Strange shit happens there.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's not a great city to get your ass kicked in, though, 'cause the cops won't have your back.

9. Mizzougrad96

After losing out on the Tebow sweepstakes, I'm sure she had to tie one on. :D

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

That's not true. You can get that ass tapped on pretty damn good there. It's on my list.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Absolutely it goes into the paper. It's news.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sounds like a b.s. douchey cop to me. In Florida? That's unpossible!

Draft saved Draft deleted