1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Times: UK doctor who showed autism-vaccine link altered his data

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Feb 8, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article5683671.ece

The longer-form article from the Times, further deconstructing the Wakefield research, is here.

And that bit of fabricated research has led to the return of measles in the United Kingdom. Wakefield, the founder of the vaccines-cause-autism movement, denies that he made it all up.

I believe the UK authorities no longer clap 'em in irons and toss 'em in the Tower of London ... unfortunately.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Boy is Private Practice pissed off this didn't come out before its episode about this aired a couple weeks ago.

Long story short: Kid dies of measles because his mom refuses to give him the vaccination because her first-born became autistic (she says) after getting the vaccination. So she says she won't "lose" a second child.

Too bad, psycho!

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The wonderful Skeptics Guide to the Universe podcast has some great discussion just about every week about this anti-vaccination nutjobs.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Most conflicted people in the world regarding this news:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Well, maybe he was just looking forward to a comeback for measels?

This Brit doc needs tortured, and I mean tortured, in the media, walking down the street, eating a meal and everywhere he comes in contact with other people for the rest of his life.

Oh, this has indirectly killed children around the world.

6. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Hopefully, this will go toward ending the great debate....I myself wonder if the rise in autism isn't linked to electronic entertainment....there is some research out there that indicates watching TV can make infants' brain activity fire in different patterns.. then again, that research could be cooked.. plus, if kids are a little 'quirky' now, parents search for something medically wrong (and I'm not talking about cases where it's apparent that there is a developmental issue).. let your kid be quirky and send him/her out to play.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

U.S. court to plaintiffs: "GTFO."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090212/ap_on_he_me/autism_ruling_2

8. 2muchcoffeeman

More research: It's genetic and the mutations have been identified.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/AutismNews/story?id=7451376&page=1

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

[​IMG]

"He falsified his research. So that RDU-90 could be approved and Devlin McGregor could give you ... Provasic!"

[​IMG]

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

None of this will matter to Jenny McCarthy. She will continue her batshit crazy crusade.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The thing that makes no sense about the measles and whatnot is this -- even if you are spooked by the vaccine-autism link, you can still get your kids vaccinations but you demand that doctors use vaccinations without mercury in them.

I know this because my wife is one who reads every article about kids health and is paranoid about just about everything doctors do and this was something we had to do with all of our kids.

It costs a little more money and doctors hate it, but at least it gives those who are really wierded out by this some peace of mind.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah, sorry about fucking up your lives for the past dozen years:

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/02/02/international/i063901S09.DTL#ixzz0eOiuRxY8

Draft saved Draft deleted