1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TIME's solution: start charging

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bucknutty, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1877191-1,00.html

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They need to get the heads of all the major chains in a room and convince them they ALL need to do this now.

It'll never happen though.

3. There are plenty of people in this industry who don't think it's the answer. Talked to one at length the other night. The thought is that the industry has never been subscriber-supported, but always ad-supported. He told me advertisers should be MORE interested in advertising on the Web, not less, because we can deliver more accurate stats about people's reading habits. Felt it was only a matter of time before advertisers got on board.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

5. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Eh, no biggie. Just wanted you to see the previous discussion on the subject because you're obviously interested. Figured you'd missed it, and now you can read it if you'd like.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Not true, though. Advertising makes up the bulk of revenue, but most papers make significant profit on circ.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Is that really true? I've always been told that 50 cents per issue is barely enough to pay for the cost of printing the thing and delivering it to your doorstep.

9. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Does anybody else find it a tad ironic that we are all reading this Time article for free?

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Did he happen to say how much time?

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Yeah, that would be good information to know. Because if it takes until 2080, I'd say most of us are fucked anyway.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I've posted this link before. The "rule of thumb" (that's what they really call it) has been a profit of 46 percent on circ, but Inland does a yearly survey to find out what the reality is compared with the long-held standard. The figures in 2007, the most recent, were in the 30s:

http://www.inlandpress.org/articles/2009/02/19/research/rules_of_thumb/doc48c57a29b6d08078370615.txt

Draft saved Draft deleted