1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time's Person of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Dec 17, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

She's averted wars with 165 of the 188 countries on the planet.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Without you there's no one buying a magazine! You demands to be recognized!

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it'll be the genocidal maniac from Iran.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do find it interesting that as media has expanded and become less monolithic it is harder to figure out a consensus-type candidate that everyone can respect.
    But I still think Rupert Murdoch would be a good choice. Fox changed the dynamics of NFL TV contracts, launched a successful TV news network and started up a biz channel. We know what we think of Fox's local news products, the Weekly Standard, et. al but we do have the Simpsons thanks to Fox. The guy has made a huge impact on the zeitgeist of America in the last 20 years. I'm not saying he's made this a better country, but he has a huge impact.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Barring anything over the top, I believe Rupert Murdoch's year will be 2008. Yes, it will probably be the person elected president, but 2008 is when Murdoch's business channel gets rolling. It is also when we may actually see his influence on the Wall Street Journal.

6. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

You could make a good case for Murdoch winning the award this year or last year. 2008's person of the year will probably be the president-elect, especially if its someone who isn't white (Obama) or male (Hillary)

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The "buzz" (I hate that word) on media blogs is that it will be Gore. I'm not going to complain, but he's been so busy accepting awards this year for what he's done in the past has he had time to do anythin THIS year?

8. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

I think Jobs ought to get it...just for the iPhone and how the iPod destroyed the music industry. Matter of fact, I think the writer's wouldn't be on strike if not for the iPod.

9. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Here is the full list of betting odds on the 2007 TIME Magazine Person of the Year, as published by Bodog Sports:

J.K. Rowling - 3/1

Al Gore - 10/11

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad - 11/2

Condoleeza Rice - 6/1

General David Petraeus - 15/2

Steve Jobs - 8/1

Vladimir Putin - 11/1

Hu Jintao - 11/1

2 or More People 4/1

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

It's Putin.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/personoftheyear

I'd have gone Patraeus, his impact this year is the historic one. Putin is the same brutal dictator he's been for a while.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Time wasn't going to go Gore.

Newsweek? Maybe. But not Time.

12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Petraeus' impact will be nil unless the political situation improves. He's bought the Iraqi power brokers some time, and they're not making much of it. As for Putin, I'd say he kicked things up a notch in 2007 by setting himself up to be "national leader"-- or whatever the hell the euphemism is -- indefinitely.

Draft saved Draft deleted