1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time's Person of the Year and no, it's not YOU

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 15, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Speaking of cell phones, who here has both a landline and a cell?

HC and I dumped our landline about two years ago. Basically all the calls we received on the land line were from marketers.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Facebook's genius is old school product pushing: create a burning need where there wasn't one. Tried Facebook, just wasnt for me. Thought I was often just a name on lists, and in one case I really got punched in the gut

3. mb

mb Active Member

Finally killed the landline a few months back. Haven't had any reason to regret it.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Time's editor was on NBC Nightly News and Brian Williams asked him about Assange. He said no one would remember him in five years.

Are you really that fucking thick Richard Stengel?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For all the stink caused by Assange, I haven't read any leak that caused more than minor embarassment. It's not like he discovered that Osama bin Laden is living in a Saudi embassy or that US officials deemed Afghanistan "unwinnable" in 2005.
    He's not that much different from the NYT when they published the Pentagon Papers, except the Pentagon Papers were far more damning and actually influenced policy.

As for the Tea Party snub - seems like their influence has waned since the election - haven't heard a peep what they think about the tax cut deal and its impact on the debt.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    ...or not.

7. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

That answer is idiotic on several levels. Would anybody know who Zukerberg is if they hadn't made a movie about him? Maybe he would've still qualified as POY, but is Stengel saying they would've picked him? Why didn't they pick him last year? Is Facebook that much bigger now than it was in 2009?

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

But they did make a movie about him.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I've never understood this kind of reasoning, like Person of the Year is a Rookie of the Year-type award where someone should only be eligible once. A lot of times the recognition comes only because after a year or two of faddishness (anyone remember Netscape? Napster?), some ideas break through and others fall away. This is the year Facebook has truly broken through and its CEO is moving into he Gates/Ellison/Jobs pantheon.

Did CNN go live for the first time in 1991? No, but Ted Turner got the award then because his network changed the way we saw the world, namely that we could watch a revolution live from our living rooms. Andy Grove had been CEO of Intel for 10 years when he won in 1997, not because he had a particularly great year or Intel was just then becoming a Big Shit company, but because that's when the Web revolution really took off. John Paul II became Pope in 1978 and won the award in 1994.

I think Zuckerberg is one of the more dastardly people to burst on the scene lately, but that's part of the criteria too, the mystery around him. The Facebook and social media explosion and what it's doing to us is a huge, huge development, and yeah, it really is a lot bigger now than it was 12 months ago.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Minor embarrassment for the U.S., yes, but there is some damning cables out there which have really bothered foreign governments. Take the Lockerbie bombing for example...it's all there. The UK didn't want to see economic ties severed with Libya, so it let the bomber go. I mean everyone suspected that was the case, but ...shit...that's pretty damning of a government.

And another thing is, these leaks will keep coming. And it won't be just U.S. government documents. He's opened a channel for whistleblowers. Those in power are terrified.

11. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I'm not questioning their selection of Zukerberg, I just have issues with Stengel's answer. He seems to be contradicting himself. He's claiming that Assange will be a nobody in five years (which I strongly doubt), but if Zukerberg doesn't get a movie made about him, nobody would know who the hell he was. At least I wouldn't have. And I'm not willing to put him in the category with Gates, et al. yet.

My question about Facebook being that much bigger this year than last wasn't a rhetorical one, I really don't know. I'll take your word for it that it is. Of course it's grown, but so much as to warrant POY for Zukerberg all of a sudden?The examples you cite seem to have had a much longer shelf life before POY recognition came their way. Maybe things are just that much more accelerated nowadays, especially issues involving the Internet and social networking, but the timing of the award still seems a little fishy.

Draft saved Draft deleted