1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Times of NW Indiana, Copy Editor/Enterprise Sports Writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Love_Sports, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It's also the paper that made Paul Bowker, who by all accounts is a good guy, quit because of some of the practices there.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is a very good medium-sized paper... It's one of the better of its size in the country...

But for a paper this size to have an enterprise reporter, even if they are helping on desk is still unheard of...

3. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

I'm a little bit confused.

This sports section is between 80-90k circulation and located in suburban Chicago, one of the largest media markets in the nation. It has been recognized by APSE as one of the best in the country for its size, and has been recognized by its state press association as the best in Indiana.

They're even advertising for an enterprise reporter, which like Mizzougrad said, is something unheard of at a paper this size. I understand that some desk work is part of the position, but I've worked at a mid-sized shop where even the major beat guys chipped in on desk every now and then.

Why is everyone (for the most part) trashing the place?

They must be doing something right. Right? ???

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

This should be factored in very heavily, and Wonderlic, it should be an answer to your question. Bowker knows his stuff.

5. PBOWKER

PBOWKER Member

Why, thank you, Wicked, and the $20 payout is in the mail (wink, wink).

Oh, gawwwwwwd, please keep me out of this one, ladies and gents!
    NWI Times has a long history of memorable threads on SportsJournalists.com

6. j27roenick

j27roenick New Member

That was a spooky moment. It seemed you guys were poking the corpse in his grave, only to have the corpse spring to life and throw dirt at you.

Let's tie him up and see what he knows.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Put it this way -- many years ago, this paper and Post Tribune were considered top notch in NW Indiana. One still is, and it ain't the PT. (Sun-Times cutbacks, you know.)

NWI Times has had its share of what the hell moments (Hi, Paul!) and things that made you go hmmm, but it's still a good paper for its size.

8. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Both the Times and the PT are prep-heavy, plus a little Valpo hoops and ND football. The Times has stringers cover Chicago pro stuff. Looks like Enterprise = GA.

10. Max Mercy

Max Mercy Member

Again, my pal would like me to clarify (can't blame him for not wanting to post here about his own paper based on history).

Times is very prep-heavy and hyper-local with a decent dose of occasional pro (stringer, mostly) and college stuff (they do a good job with Valpo hoops, men and women, but ND, Purdue and Indiana are largely wire). And remember the infamous memo -- "in-depth" stories are 12-14 inches. Anything longer has to be cleared by management.

PT is very college-heavy (ND, Purdue and Indiana football, Purdue, Indiana, ND and Valpo basketball) with 100 percent Sun-Times pro sports. Lots and lots of preps, too, though not to the extent of the Times. Because of the manpower issues, it's less game coverage, more long-form stuff.

PT writers lament the Times' resources. Times writers lament the PT's freedom.

Both papers do what they do very well. They just do it differently. It's really a surprisingly top-notch newspaper market.

Draft saved Draft deleted