1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Times of Northwest Indiana Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hwkcrz1, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Did they ever fill either of these positions?

2. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

The writer position has been filled. The sports editor position has yet to be filled. If you are interested, please e-mail me your resume.

I'm at justin.breen@nwi.com

Thank you.

3. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

With fall sports around the corner, is their a specific timeframe for having someone in the office?

4. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

We would like to make a hire soon.

5. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

Have you not gotten many decent applicants, or was this a decision to sit on the opening so you wouldn't have to pay a sports editor through the slow summer months?

It seems like the position has been open for quite awhile, and you're still at the "e-mail me your resume" phase ...

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

If anything, they'd want the sports editor there during summer because that's when planning starts for fall football sections, college FB coverage and stuff that goes on in the slow months. I know they cover Little League, Big League and travel teams and Cubs/White Sox home games with George Castle.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

My old roommate told me he heard this one is still open four months later. Thought I'd give it a little bump to find out the word on the street.
    ?

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Paul Trembacki is listed as the interim sports editor online. I'm kind of curious myself about this if it's not filled. Seems like a pretty good job to be open this long.

9. superhater

superhater Member

Greg Smith is now serving as the interim. I know of at least one other former staffer who has put in for the job, but they still hadn't made a permanent hire as of last week.

10. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

So it comes down to 1 of 2 things ...

1) They are having trouble finding qualified people interested in the job.

or

2) The bosses like how it's working out, having what I assume is a lower-paid person do the job of the SE while they keep that job (and salary) open as they don't make a hire for the last 4 months.

Gee, I wonder which one it is?

Assuming they ever make a hire, I hope the new SE is ready for this kind of stuff to happen when they have openings for writers, copy editors, etc., on the sports staff. That's a decent-sized red flag, IMO, to go through the busy fall season without an SE despite having lots of lead time to hire one.

11. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

unfortunately, that's pretty common practice these days to hold positions open to save the salary, bennies etc.
    Where I'm at, they lost the city govt reporter (probably the most high-profile beat) and replaced him with a part-timer who used to work here. He took a buyout and now he's back working 24 or 29 hours a week for us.

12. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Very common practice, especially in Gannett.

Draft saved Draft deleted