1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Times of Northwest Indiana Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hwkcrz1, Jun 18, 2010.

1. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

Sports Editor

The Times Media Company of Northwest Indiana, located 30 miles from the downtown Chicago area and boasting Indiana's second-largest newspaper (90,000+ circulation) and website (nwi.com), is looking for a highly-motivated, creative Sports Editor. Skills should include editing, assigning for multiple platforms, page proofing, coverage planning for zoned delivery, content development, personnel management and community outreach. Must have a solid knowledge of sports, with emphasis on prep sports. Knowledge and experience should include research, database and computer-assisted reporting, copy editing, page proofing, online and multimedia delivery, headline writing, ability to communicate with public, ability to use social media for communication and research, ability to work in a collaborative environment. The successful candidate will have a college degree or equivalent experience, a minimum of five years daily newspaper/editing experience or equivalent, excellent time management and organizational skills, including ability to accurately gauge project duration, deliver on deadlines, and manage a workload with possible conflicting priorities. The Times offers competitive compensation, an excellent benefits package, and a great working environment. Interested candidates may apply online at www.nwi.com/timesjobs.

2. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

While I am unable to apply for this position, the folks that I met through an internship while attending nearby VU were really nice. This would be a great job to have for a solid newspaper.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Where's the ad? The site only has an opening for a writer position

4. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

It will be posted soon.

5. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

How long has the sports writer position been open?

6. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Where's Justin going?

7. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

I've been promoted to assistant managing editor. Very excited about this new opportunity.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Did you just out yourself?? Or is that old news?

9. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

Very old news

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Cripes, I need to keep up.

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Not a good sign if the job description mentions page proofing twice.

12. esport12

esport12 Member

Did they ever fill that writer position that was open last month?

Draft saved Draft deleted