1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Times of Northwest Indiana Sports Editor opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hwkcrz1, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

I don't get it. So he's not supposed to let anyone know he's been promoted? I thought that was always standard that you let people know when you have a new position.

2. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

The way it was presented earlier in this thread, it sounds like it was a lot more than just letting people know that he got a new position ...

I realize it could be exaggerated or just flat wrong, but this makes it sound like he went straight from getting his promotion to trying to get to another gig. Maybe I'm naive, but to make that call to see if he now qualifies for a job elsewhere on the same day he got the promotion is bad form. If I was his current employer and I found out about this, he wouldn't be working for me for long.

3. PBOWKER

PBOWKER Member

Oh, gawd, just when the nightmares stopped!!

Thank you for the kind words, SheffieldAvenue. And I was there for 10 months, although it seemed like a matter of weeks, maybe. Ten months puts me into the top five for longetivity, I think, maybe behind Clark, Sansone, Campbell, Breen.

Second day on the job, I felt like Chief Brody:
    "You're gonna need a bigger boat!"

Never seen anything like it (except for CNHI).

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Paul, be thankful you're not living the nightmare. Others, obviously there are some things happening at this place that are questionable. It's a gig, but I'm getting it's a place to be leery of.

5. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

I always take a Machiavellian viewpoint on these kinds of things. You don't want people fleeing to a destination/dream job paper like the Chicago Tribune, you give them the best job security possible. I can't blame Mr. Breen for looking out for No. 1.

6. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

What I can't figure out is, why would the Chicago Tribune use this outpost as a "feeder paper." How many times has this happened? Does twice make a trend?

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Outpost? This paper is less than 25 miles from the Trib. It's still inside Chicagoland

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Sorry -- I meant "outpost" journalistically speaking.

9. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Which it is.

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Update, anyone?

rb

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

it's still an outpost...

12. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I remember when this opening first surfaced around this time last year. And here we are a year later.

Draft saved Draft deleted