1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Times of Northwest Indiana Sports Editor opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hwkcrz1, Mar 21, 2011.

1. RegisRatte

RegisRatte New Member

Sure, but that's your cross to bear as an employee ANYWHERE, be it newspaper or otherwise. The Times of NWI is an APSE winner, and Engel was a judge this past year. If he wants to get another SE job elsewhere in the industry, that can't possibly be a good notch on his belt – that he seemingly waited till no one was looking and ran off, never to return. Would YOU hire someone who did that? I'd have plenty of questions about why he did it. Any employer can decide they're done with you without notice – that's why they're the employER and you're the employEE. They hold the cards. The Times is no different than anyone else in that regard.

2. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

An executive editor pronounces a resignation letter as unprofessional after demanding multiple staff interims fill this job with no extra pay for months on end, and not filling the job repeatedly?
    That's hilarious.
    Pot, kettle, black.
    Be afraid, be very afraid.

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Didn't the original job description include a requirement that the sports editor be adept at reading page proofs? Nothing wrong with pitching in, but that's not a good criterion for hiring a sports editor.

4. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

It was so nice that it was required twice.

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

For a lot of sports desks under 40K circulation that's probably a pretty good criterion I mean lots of smaller desks require editors to do real close editing.

/Looks it up, realizes the paper has 85K daily circulation and is the second-largest daily in the state.

Well then.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Far be it from me to defend management, but in all fairness, usually when someone is fired/laid off, they can collect unemployment. It's kinda like giving the employee a bit of a cushion, rather than just having all of their income taken away at once.

Now, if the paper tries to dump someone and then contest unemployment, that is flat-out wrong.

Now, as far as this situation goes, who knows what triggered the guy to walk out? Maybe he got tired of being screwed over and just said, "fuck it", one night.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Perhaps. But it happens in other industries, too.

I remember a few years, I was on a date and went to a rather nice restaurant. Waiter came and took our order and we chit-chatted while we waited for our meal. And waited. And waited. About 20 minutes later, a lady came to our table, told us she was the manager and apologized that said waiter had quit -- in the middle of his shift. She took our order again and offered us a free desert.

We didn't have anywhere else to go, so weren't too upset. But I normally would be and I was rather shocked that a guy quit on the spot in the middle of a shift.

Now I'm directly comparing being a journalist to being a waiter, but as angry as I have been at times with people, I've never really seriously considered just getting up and walking out for good in the middle of my shift and leaving someone else to finish that night's pages. But I suppose it happens.

8. RegisRatte

RegisRatte New Member

According to Engel's public LinkedIn profile, he's working on a baseball-themed fiction book that will publish next year. He was an APSE judge and is apparently active in the organization – or at least active enough to want to judge, get accepted as a judge and make the trip to be a judge. He was an SE at smaller Chicagoland newspapers, and The Times of NWI is a logical next step up – work there a couple years, then graduate to the big leagues like so many others before him.

So how in the hell does he think walking out on a staff and a newsroom with no notice – almost cowardly, as I understood it, by typing a quick resignation note and sneaking it under the HR door when no one is looking – is going to help him down the road? Word gets around about that, and good luck easily finding another SE job at the next level on the ladder.

I don't care how much the job wasn't what he expected it to be or how crappy management above him is/was. Leaving like that with no notice – and yes, I realize giving 2 weeks is a COURTESY – is totally unprofessional, especially given that all indications from the staff were that there no warning signs it was coming. He wasn't well-liked, from what I can gather. But walking out like that left a lot of people in the lurch. Not. Cool.

9. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Sounds like RegisRatte has an ax to grind. It'd be interesting to hear another side.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'd like to hear Engel's side before jumping to a wrong conclusion.

11. SheffieldAvenue

SheffieldAvenue New Member

Didn't this place also chase off Paul Bowker a few years ago with a couple weeks or months of his getting hired, who at the time was one of the most respected mid-size daily sports editors in the country with a long track record of success?

I seem to recall some discussion on here about that.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yep. Paul is out here. Perhaps he can shed some light about the Times.

Draft saved Draft deleted