1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Times - Jet/ Giant Beat Coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boom_70, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Can anyone shed some light on who the Jet beat reporter is for the Times? Whereas John Branch is the Giants beat for the Times, the Jets seem to be covered by a different person each day. It leads to very inconsistant story lines on day to day basis.

2. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

Is it true Greg Bishop is going to cover the Jets? He might still be in transition from one Times to another.

3. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

yes, Bishop is the new all-the-time Jets guy

4. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I think he's starting pretty soon. I heard his last week in Seattle was this one, I believe.

5. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

What happened to Crouse?

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I don't know. Maybe Boom had her killed.

7. boots

boots New Member

She was reassigned. There have been many changes at the Times of Late. Three outstandig talents, including one of the best columnists in the country and an even nicer person, Dave Anderson, have left in as many weeks.
    Oh and for those keeping score of such things, there is only ONE African American talent at the paper. It wasn't that long ago that the place had six African American writers. We're not talking about a paper in the south, we're talking about the top paper in the country. Totally disgraceful.

8. accguy

accguy Member

My understanding is that she's going to cover golf now that Cliff Brown and Hack are gone.

She has a new job there, but I think calling it a "reassignment" is a bit harsh.

9. boots

boots New Member

ACC, it is what it is. No need to sugar coat and we're not trying to say anything demeaning. She's going to be fine. Cliff set a standard in covering the sport for the Times. He was hard to replace when he was moved to the NFL four years ago and hopefully she can do half as good of a job.

10. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Yes, it's disgraceful that all of them moved on to better jobs.

I'm sure I'll get killed for this, but I have to laugh a little bit when people bring up the issue of minorities working in sports sections or the number of minority columnists at newspapers. Why is it so skewed? Just check the number of minorities working at ESPN, SI and the other major national/online publications, and you see a big part of the answer. They get hired into better jobs.

11. Golf at the New York Times is a promotion from the Jets (or the Giants) in every conceivable way, even considering the NFL's status (both in the country and in my NFL-loving head).

She's about to write the biggest sports story of the era when TW reaches 18 and then 19.

If that's a reassignment, reassign me up.

12. boots

boots New Member

Yes, you could say that. You could also point at the way they were treated at the paper. Relations have never been great and Jason Blair put many of non-colored hue into panic mode. Throw in some questionable moves by the sports hierarchy and bam there you go.
    Bill Rhoden is now the lone fly in the sugar bowl as some of my African American colleagues like to say. How long his stays is anyone's guess but I like him. You might not like what he writes but I think he's a great guy. Always helpful.

Draft saved Draft deleted