1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Times Hands Over "Off-the-Record" Statement to Investigators

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Oct 30, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is this unusual? I would think it's the kind of thing the Times lawyers would have fought.

I don't see anything on their site about it yet. Maybe they did fight it, but wouldn't the fight itself have become news?

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

The Post story doesn't say the NYT handed over the tapes, but I don't see another obvious way investigators could have obtained it -- unless Paterson's office made a recording, too.

Still, if the Times handed over off the record recordings, that's bad form. There goes trustworthiness with their sources in the state capitol.

3. YankeeFan

You could be right. It didn't occur to me that it might have been the Governor's office that handed over a tape.

But, boy, if they're routinely taping conversations, that's going to be a gold mine of information for investigators.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I tape all of my phone interviews. I don't give notice either as it's not required in my state.

5. YankeeFan

You misunderstood me. I would expect the Times to have recorded the interview.

If the Governor's office was routinely recording conversations, that would surprise me. And, give the issues revolving around the administration, they'll all probably be subpoenaed at some point.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm sure of it. If I were a politician, I wouldn't tape any of my conversations.

Draft saved Draft deleted