1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Times Correction -- What do You Think?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Nov 10, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Here's how it originally ran:

Here's the corrected version:

First of all, how does the Times put this on A1 without confirming that Monsoor was Muslim (let alone what his rank was and how he earned the Medal)?

An author, three contributers, and who knows how many editors worked on the story. Could not even one of them google Michael Monsoor to see if Capt. Rahman's version of the story checked out?

And, not only does the correction negate the entire point the author was trying to make, but it comes across as disingenuous. She doesn't quote him, but if he said "Muslims" you can't just change it to "Arab-Americans" to keep your thesis alive.

I'd love to know the actual quote.

What do you think of the way the Times tried to clean it up?

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Can there be any question as to why the Times is incapable of getting out of its downward spiral.

Once the gold standard, now no standards.

3. derwood

derwood Active Member

Very sloppy work.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hell, the original sentences aren't even grammatically correct and read like crap.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

WFW. Don't let the facts -- either the right facts or the wrong facts, apparently -- get in the way of your story.

6. ericrahman

ericrahman New Member

I was the guy they quoted, and as soon as I saw the article I contacted them to correct the error. I don't think it was intentional, but still sloppy. I never told them he was Muslim.

7. How in God's name did you end up at our little corner of the world???

Also - thank you for yoru service.

8. YankeeFan

That is pretty incredible. How did you get here and what did you tell her?

This place is unbelievable!

9. ericrahman

ericrahman New Member

google is a powerful tool ;)

as for the article, i actually spoke with damien cave who contributed. i think when that happens, a few people gather some info and someone tries to piece it together. of all the interviews i gave (like 12 or more), a few did a good job reporting, some picked out their one liner sound byte, and others went in a totally different direction. it happens... take care....E

10. YankeeFan

Thanks for your replies & thanks for your service.

11. spud

spud Member

What the hell? Forget the factual errors, is that English?

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Times is hearing what it wants to hear this week. If they could get away with it they would have made Major Hassan Catholic

Draft saved Draft deleted