1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Times change, and so do epithets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 5, 2013.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It struck me as odd - this 1971 Playboy story on Dick Butkus - several mentions of the f***** word.

Kobe Bryant used the word a couple years ago and got more flak for that than raping a girl.

What word that we use now will be forbidden in a couple of decades? I'm going with "Mexican".

http://thestacks.deadspin.com/butkus-one-season-and-one-injury-with-the-meanest-man-1245969242

2. I read this last night.
    First thing I saw - like three graphs in - was the error listing the Vikings as the defending NFL champions.

Loved the Butkus highlight reel in the middle of the story.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

NYT ran a story with the F-word a week or two ago -- first time the Gray Lady ventured into those waters.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

But it wasn't a mistake if the games were played in 1970. The Vikings won the '69 NFL Championship, though lost to the Chiefs in the Super Bowl.

The lead time on the story shows how times have changed too, as the story didn't appear until October 1971.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

[Note if you've never read Penny Arcade, you can skip this post.]

Because I have a undying love for Penny Arcade, I'm going to say "Chuwero."
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/11/10

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

1969 was the last year before the AFL-NFL merger, so the Vikings were defending NFL champions in 1970.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Vikings were the NFL champs that year, but lost to the chiefs in the Super Bowl.

The next season was the first true merged season, with the AFC and NFC. The Colts beat the Cowboys in the Blunder Bowl.

8. OK ... I thought it was typo and he meant NFC.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A nice profile ... and yeah, the amount of time spent gathering info and writing it (not to mention the amount of access to Butkus and his family) is stunning to see 40 years later.

I cracked up at this bit of detail from the Wrigley Field sideline:

10. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Debut post so here goes:

The world is too damn chock full of pc language as it is.

It's also a double-standard when for example, a black can use the n word and it's not labeled a disrespectful slur.

We pretty much need to get over ourselves.

I hope I'm not subject to an airport like search with this verification crap every time I come in.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Redneck.
    The word connotes a sort of guardianship of racism and white privilege.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

There are already enough people trying to make the word "illegal" forbidden. Just ask the AP when it comes to illegal immigrants.

Draft saved Draft deleted