1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Times buys Tampa Trib

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BDC99, May 3, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There are no advertising dollars.

Thought experiment: you're the VP of advertising for a retailer/consumer product, give me your rationale for spending ad dollars with the Tampa Bay Times.

I'm not even sure why a car dealer or supermarket would spend money with the paper.

Internet advertising is cheaper, better targeted, more effective, quicker, and easier to to gauge the effectiveness.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Among everything else yesterday, the Times mentioned that their Tampa news section in the paper will be called the Tampa Tribune. I can't imagine that went over too well in some circles.

3. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Other than a few cocked eyebrows, it didn't really land for a lot of Tribune folks. They're of the mindset that the Tribune died yesterday. The Times bought the name, but they didn't buy the spirit or the history of the scrappy newspaper.

The new Tribune, as I understand it, will be the umbrella name for the neighborhood sections coming out twice a week. The labeling is sure to be weird, though: "The Brandon edition of the Tampa Tribune, a publication of the Tampa Bay Times."

Ridiculous. Just let the old lady die already.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Right. Hearing Paul Tash (in his usual wooden self) sell that in a video yesterday was an eye-roll. It's the Tampa Bay Times but it pays heritage to the St. Pete Times and Tampa Tribune names with news sections carrying those names ... uh-huh. Just let it go.

5. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Speaking strictly about sports, assuming they grab Fennelly, that alone will strengthen the Times' section.
    In theory the Times has two upper level salary slots open: SE and pro writer.
    I know they brought in a big hitter for SE interview. Maybe they were waiting on this before hiring him.
    We'll know soon enough, I suppose.

6. reformedhack

I wouldn't mind seeing the Tribune survive as a weekly/Sunday section, even if it's inside the Times, that keeps the Trib's flavor, some of its personalities and a separate editorial voice. Similar to how the Las Vegas Sun exists via the Review-Journal. But that won't happen, because it's obvious the Times believes it has to kill the Tribune in some vengeful, Sicilian way.

Slapping the name on its neighborhood sections is both lip service and a slight.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  7. reformedhack

I've got my ear to the rails. I know offers were made to some people last night, but I don't know of any from Sports.

Tash was on the local news/talk radio station this morning, and it didn't sound like he made a lot of offers. Of course, that could be his public position.

8. reformedhack

On local radio just now, Joe Henderson (former sportswriter turned metro columnist) related what Tash told Tribune staffers about layoffs:

"There will be very few people in the lifeboat."

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yes, they said the higher circulation will provide a boost, but it will be minimal I would guess. Too much duplication on the advertisers to make much of a dent.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What a tool. He talks in terms of the Times being the rescue squad.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

The url for the stories on the purchase? tampabay. com/allforone

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yeah, the people in St. Petersburg sure know how to gloat.

Having worked at the smaller half of a two-paper market, I empathize much more with the Trib folks than the Times management's douchebaggery.

Draft saved Draft deleted