1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Times are tough: What's the best cheapest beer?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oggiedoggie, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

We've got a running thing at my weekly card game to see who can bring in the cheapest beer. The guy in the lead got a 30-pack of Stroh's for $9.99 somewhere. We keep asking for the 30-pack of ho's to go with it, but no luck.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

There is bad beer here in Ontario but it ain't cheap.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When I was in college, the answer was definitely Mickey's.

Keystone Light and PBR would have been second and third.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

This is probably the best advice I've been given so far.

And there's no way in hell I'm going to follow it.

Mrs. Oggiedog is a budgeting fiend and I'm going to be dealing with a bit less discretionary spending money.

Lost Lake Ice was my fall-back, but I can't drink it. I've tried Steel Reserve Ice with even worse results.

My plan is to take $20 a week and buy a six of something good (Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Boulevard Pale Ale are my standards) and get the rest of my buzz as cheaply as tolerable.

The rules in my suck-ass beer state? Most of the major over-the counter brands (Bud, Coors, Keystone, etc) are sold cold in grocery stores as cereal malt beverages (3.2 beer). Argue all you want about the whole weight vs. volume thing, 3.2 beer sucks.

The higher-point beers are sold warm in liquor stores. Selection is usually limited. Olympia is available and it's okay, nothing special. I drank Molsen's Ice, but it's no longer available here.

I was just wondering if there might be some sleeper cheap beer I just haven't thought of yet.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Tried a case or two of the Blue Lights this summer. Excellent beach beer. Also enjoyed some Narragansett with my lobster rolls during a Block Island (RI) weekend.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I do enjoy the Keystone Light ads.

"Oh, it's for grandma."

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I completely agree with that now. When I was young and poor, not so much... ;D

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

How could you possibly know that?

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Probably already stated, but anything cold and in a bottle.

Leave the 40s to the homeless.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

See the thing about PBR and High Life is that they both actually taste pretty good ... and I'm a beer snob who loves me a good micro when the mood strikes.

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Yay, someone else likes it! I really think spirited needs to give it a try. Seriously, I'm kinda picky about beer because I usually drink wine or gin and tonics, but Labatt's Blue Lights are definitely worth it. Further perusal of the Rite-Aid ad this week reveals if you're willing to go with cans, you can get a 24-pack of the Labatts for $15.99 but I just won't drink beer out of cans unless the economy gets to the point where I'm out on the street with a tin cup. I draw the line at cans.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

A true scenester with his can of the People's Beer of Richmond would never be caught dead listening to Dave. You play a DMB song in Sticky Rice and you'll get laughed out of the place.

Draft saved Draft deleted