1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Times are tough: What's the best cheapest beer?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oggiedoggie, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Except that Rolling Rock is now bottled by Anheuser Busch. The green-bottled stuff ain't what it used to be ...

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Where I live you can get pints of PBR for $1 at many places and it sells very well.

Genesee Cream Ale, mmm. Drank Natty Bo all the time in college, partly because no one would scarf your beer, and Utica Club back home.

Miller High Life is a solid, reasonably-priced beer that is often on sale in 18 packs. I can live with that and not be a beer snob at $7.25 a sixer for a micro. Unless it's Widmer hef, of course.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This might be as good a place as any to ask ... has anyone had Schlitz since they went back to the old formula? Any good?

I remember my grandfather used to drink the hell out of it in the 70s ...

4. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I mostly go with the wine but after moving to Michigan, I picked up on Labattt's Blue Light. I see it's $12.49 for an 18-pack of bottles at Rite-Aide this week. Doesn't seem too bad. Still like the Amstel Lite too though.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Agreed, and I think that tends to validate the rule that any beer in a green bottle is suspect...

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Every year in college, a group of us made about a 15-hour drive to one of the major spring break beach destinations. We knew they gouged people on beer prices down there, so we saved up and went BYOB. Every time you had a few bucks, you bought a 12-pack and stacked it in the closet.

(One of the guys, who had a Bronco, was the designated beer car on the way down. He was packed up with dozens of cases, and drove way slower than the rest of the caravan -- it would have been tough to explain if he got pulled over.)

Anyway, one year my roommate was especially destitute, and wasn't able to stock any beer during the semester. When we were getting ready to leave, he went to the liquor store and came back with about five cases of generic beer.

We're talking actual, generic beer. A white can with "BEER" in block letters on the side. Like $5 a case.

We all started in on him, telling him there was no way he could drink that for a week. He responded with ever-increasing bravado: "We drink cheap beer all the time -- how bad could it be? It's beer."

We get to the beach and go out for our ceremonial first beer. My roommate takes a sip, his face turns sour and he abandons all pretense within five seconds.

"Yeah, there's no way I can drink this."

He sold it to some underage kids and bought some Stroh's or something.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Milwaukee's Best Ice. No, seriously. Takes only three or four to get you really buzzing

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Simply rule:

If you can't afford a hafway decent beer (and nothing mentioned on this thread is even halfway decent) you should not be spending your money on beer.
    If you can not afford to drink proper beer, don't drink.

9. excellent advice.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So if you can only afford hamburgers and mac and cheese, you shouldn't eat? If you can only afford T-shirts, you should go topless? Seeing a flaw in the logic, sp.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Virginia is totally given to PBR. At least from C'Ville east to the Beach. You can't be an Official Richmond Douchebag without a UR sweatshirt, a can of Skoal, a Dave Mathews song playing on the iPod, a bag of Carytown Burgers and a can of PB suck my ass R.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

No flaw at all, dools.

Eating whatever sustains you and being clothed as best as you can are necessities. Beer is not.

Draft saved Draft deleted