1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time's a Wastin'...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Dec 2, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

The sad truth, Zeke, is that all politicians are for sale.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Not a straight one up there.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Larry Craig says you're full of shit! 8)

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Many points, sir. Many.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Henry, I know you're not dumb, so I'll just say this: Get a more informed opinion.

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Active Member

1. I'm a pretty hard-core Libertubplican, but even I realize the inevitable in 2008. We're in the midst of a 1994-1996-1998-2000-like swing in the electorate -- wait another four or eight years, the pendulum will swing back. The Dems will gain, they'll propose "radical" change, people will complain about those onerous regulations leading to higher prices and the higher taxes they have to pay for a bucketload of new pork/entitlement programs, et al, and then it'll swing back. The country is in a real anti-government, anti-incumbent mood right now ... we've even seen it hit incumbent Dems in local races.

2. Yes, Republicans tend to be more pro-free market, and so the business lobby will step its act up now. But don't think the business lobby won't step its act up with a Dem administration/Congress, too, and get a little bit of what it wants. And don't think the union lobby is going to get everything it wants with a Dem congress/administration -- especially with regards to immigration.

There's pork & favors to be passed around in administrations of every stripe. In 1994, I used to think Republicans were anti-big government, pro-federalism and anti-wasteful spending, but the big spending and centralization of power in Washington has continued. We used to think the Dems were protectionists who were against free trade, but Clinton signed NAFTA. It's just that Republicans and Democrats have slightly different priorities in how they waste your money and where they concentrate government.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I know we've been around on this before, but at least in the Senate, there are 23 Republican seats up for grabs against 12 Democratic ones. I think the best the Republicans can hope for there is a push. The House will more than likely be a crapshoot.

Where I think the Republicans might benefit is from people being fearful of an all-Democratic government (House, Senate, White House), and therefore being given back control of the House.

10. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Saw this thread and though it was a thread about Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash :mad:

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

A change in the political parties after the election just means that a different set of lobbyists get their phone calls returned.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If either house of Congress goes back to the GOP in 2008, I'll eat my hat.

But right now, I think the White House is a coin flip.

And that's not altogether a bad thing. Because, as I stated in my very first post 1,137 days ago ... Gridlock is good.

Draft saved Draft deleted