1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Timeouts in soccer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 20, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Beautifully played.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

How is the ball put in play after the time out?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Thanks. Didn't know if I was reaching or not, but I'm glad someone got that.

4. KP

KP Active Member

At least the basketball coaches managed to get rid the mandatory mouthpiece rule. I thought they would play like medevil knights before I saw that get overturned.

How about the possibility of 64 playoff teams in Eastern Mass. to boost postseason participation and bring it more in line with other sports. Eight divisions for half the state. Joke.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Good question. Kansas doesn't have this rule, so I don't know.

What Kansas, at least Southeast Kansas, does have is a hell of a time finding refs. The high school I cover always end up with ones from Joplin, usually a woman and two men or the woman and one of the men. None of them are younger than 55. I think the oldest of the two men is in his 70's.

There was a young guy going to Pitt State a few years ago who decided he'd like to ref. But when he graduated, he left the area and they're down to the same pool of over-50's from Missouri. When they can't do it anymore, I don't know who's going to do the officiating unless the SEK schools cough up a chunk of change to bring down refs from Kansas City. The Joplin guys command more $$$ than officials in other sports because five or six schools usually need them on the same day. The high school I cover usually gets them because they'll pay them varsity price to ref the JV game afterwards (And JV games are usually shorter, so it's the same pay for less work).

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I would imagine that the timeout wouldn't be allowed during action, that you would have to call it when the ball was out of play and it was in your possesion.

As far as the shortage of refs go, that's the case everywhere. We never have enough. In Georgia, we've passed a rule that requires all refs be paid the same for the same level of competition to avoid the wooing of officials from other places. It's a good thing, but when you need help filling out your schedule, it can hurt, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted