1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Timeouts in soccer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Terrible decision for so many reasons.

2. MN Matt

MN Matt Member

Wasn't it NH that tried to rule out headed play in high school a few years ago?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So no third base?

I mean, why the hell would you even have a prom?

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

If this country wants to get serious about the possibility of winning men's World Cups, it better get in line with the laws of the game at all levels.

This is just bullshit. An insult to the game.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The guy claimed a lot of the diving was done to get a rest as much as to draw a foul.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So you just guess.

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

It's also the same state with mandatory mouthpiece rules, so players can't effectively communicate with each other during a game. The MIAA people are absolute buffoons when it comes to soccer (and in general), a flaw compounded by their haughtiness.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

In the eight years they've had them in Massachusetts, I've seen many games where neither coach has used a timeout.
    Some coaches like the rule, some don't. I don't like it. I've always felt that one of the best things about soccer was that more than most American sports, it was a players' game. They had to think on their feet and make adjustments as they went along instead of having a coach in a huddle telling them to do this or do that.
    With all the year-round club soccer that kids play, I have a hard time believing that high school players don't know the game well enough to make their own decisions on the field.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I didn't say that.

But less-than-perfect views are a fact in every sport where there is a referee. All the striped shirts on a football field can't always get a perfect view, which is why they've got instant replay.

Being in the right position and knowing the game will result in the correct call most of the time.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I've worked youth games where the weather conditions dictate play be stopped halfway through each half for a water break. It's not called by one coach or the other, and it's done when, at the discretion of the referee, neither team has position advantage on the field. I fully support these "water timeouts" but I don't support the idea of coaches calling tactical timeouts.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

That's a completely different beast, Cadet. I, too, fully support "water timeouts" when it's 90-plus degrees, 80 percent humidity and a team of 8 year olds is playing with no subs. At that rate, it's about safety.

Timeouts called by coaches wouldn't result in fewer "flare ups" because, in close games which tend to be a little more heated, coaches would wait to call that timeout until the last minute when there is a restart inside 25 yards that potentially equalizes a match.

Liberal use of cards will reduce tempers. The state association needs to make a point of emphasis with referees ... Don't be afraid to use a card. I know from my own experiences, it's tough to issue that first card. But bookings can keep a game and tempers in check.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Similar to BBAM, I think there's a huge difference between water timeouts in excessively hot weather and some high school association's - or NFHS's - idea of tactical timeouts.

Deferring to FIFA always works when a governing body doesn't otherwise have a clue of what to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted